They can take this **** back up north!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all act like you haven't lived in Oklahoma for very long. For a group of "prepared Americans" sounds like someone isn't very prepared for a little cold weather...

The wife and I have both lived in Oklahoma most of our lives. But, we were just talking about the fact that we cannot handle the cold like we did before we reached such 'advanced years.'

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I have both lived in Oklahoma most of our lives. But, we were just talking about the fact that we cannot handle the cold like we did before we reached such 'advanced years.'
Same, when I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island Washington, I was the guy to walk from the barracks to the exchange wearing shorts in a snowstorm. Now that I'm almost 50, it's gonna be a nope for me. I drove like 3 miles to QT this morning to gas up the car so I don't have to on the way to work tomorrow and I was miserable.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zero here this morning when the dog barking woke me at 4:30. My wife says she heard a sound like something fell on or in the house. I didn't see anything. A few hours later we discovered the inside pane of the living room picture window, facing north, is cracked from upper corner all the way to opposite lower corner. I'm assuming it's a stress crack due to temperature. The fire in the fireplace has been burning since Friday night. I'm sure this will not be a cheap replacement.

Also, despite having a drop light and a heat lamp on in the wellhouse, the remote thermometer in there is reading 32°. Dripping the faucets as a precaution. I'm not a fan of the extreme cold.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived my whole 71 years here.....all 4 corners of the state. Been thru a lot worse than this........but I have learned to prepare and be prepared for most anything. My house is earth bermed on the north. My wood stove will heat the entire 1800Sqft. I have 3 full ricks of wood in the wood shed ( dry and ready to go ) the portable generator is capable of running the well pump, ref/freezers is fired up on a regular basis to be sure it's ready if called upon.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zero here this morning when the dog barking woke me at 4:30. My wife says she heard a sound like something fell on or in the house. I didn't see anything. A few hours later we discovered the inside pane of the living room picture window, facing north, is cracked from upper corner all the way to opposite lower corner. I'm assuming it's a stress crack due to temperature. The fire in the fireplace has been burning since Friday night. I'm sure this will not be a cheap replacement.

Also, despite having a drop light and a heat lamp on in the wellhouse, the remote thermometer in there is reading 32°. Dripping the faucets as a precaution. I'm not a fan of the extreme cold.

Do yourself a favor, do heat tapes in the well house. And be sure to do a wrap around the nipple under the pressure switch.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all act like you haven't lived in Oklahoma for very long. For a group of "prepared Americans" sounds like someone isn't very prepared for a little cold weather...
Just cause you're prepared for cold weather does not mean ya have to like it...... :cool: Having said that, watching my dog act the fool out on our walk does put a smile on my face, she thinks this is better than peanut butter LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. It wasn't too many years ago my Brittany's and I would be out bird hunting, walking the pastures and so on during this weather.
Buddy and I went out several years ago when hitting the record -16 below zero. We were about a half mile away from the truck in a high wind completely bundled when we both swore our eyeballs were freezing. Everything was out of focus, and we made it back to the truck as quickly as possible with all those clothes on. Getting inside, I saw the issue. There were icicle's hanging from our eyelashes.
We got a good laugh out of that one.
Now, all about chasing that 75 degree sunny weather.

Latest posts

Top Bottom