Thinking about a 7mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I owned a 7mmSTW. I don't remember much about it, other than it was a flat shooter and really accurate. Killed a few deer, then came High School, Girls etc. Sold it. Always wanted another 7mm.

The 7 PRC has been peeking my interest lately and stirred up my want for a 7. Right now, quality match brass and lack of rifles on the market have me wondering if the juice will be worth the squeeze right now or wait a year?

7 mag is another option. Plenty of rifles chambered in it, ADG brass is available and load data is everywhere.

All that said, I have myself questioning whether or not another caliber with that punch is worth it being as I own and load for .300 PRC. I'm pushing a 230 grain slug a little over 2800 FPS with amazing results right now.

Those of you with say a 300WM and a 7 Mag, do you ever find yourself wanting less with the 300 or wanting more with the 7 Mag?

This will more than likely be a lighter weight rifle for long range big game hunting and some occasional ringing of steel.

Interested to hear your opinions

Thanks in advance OSA

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I owned a 7mmSTW. I don't remember much about it, other than it was a flat shooter and really accurate. Killed a few deer, then came High School, Girls etc. Sold it. Always wanted another 7mm.

The 7 PRC has been peeking my interest lately and stirred up my want for a 7. Right now, quality match brass and lack of rifles on the market have me wondering if the juice will be worth the squeeze right now or wait a year?

7 mag is another option. Plenty of rifles chambered in it, ADG brass is available and load data is everywhere.

All that said, I have myself questioning whether or not another caliber with that punch is worth it being as I own and load for .300 PRC. I'm pushing a 230 grain slug a little over 2800 FPS with amazing results right now.

Those of you with say a 300WM and a 7 Mag, do you ever find yourself wanting less with the 300 or wanting more with the 7 Mag?

This will more than likely be a lighter weight rifle for long range big game hunting and some occasional ringing of steel.

Thanks in advance OSA
Everyone you called out will kill anything in North America and most of African game cleanly.
Yeah, there was a guy that killed a zillion elephants with a 6 mm something but for normal hunting scenarios all will work.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mr burns - 5nFShZWwq3fdm.gif

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone you called out will kill anything in North America and most of African game cleanly.
Yeah, there was a guy that killed a zillion elephants with a 6 mm something but for normal hunting scenarios all will work.
I get that. You know an 06 will work and we all know a 270 will as well.

I'm wondering if there is any advantage going to a 7mm over say loading a 205 in my .300 PRC. The little testing I did, I pushed that bullet to 2950 with no pressure signs. With some Reloader 26, 3k might be doable.

Comparable rifles, there really is no difference in weight 300 vs 7mm. Recoil might be another thing.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was Bell, and he used a 7x57, AKA .284 Rigby. Anything more is overkill.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks in advance OSA
Sounds like the 7 Rem Mag will fit the bill. Ive handloaded for 2 Remington 700 in 7 RM and found excellent accuracy and velocity with Nosler 150 B-Tip and Berger 168 Classic Hunter using IMR 4831 and RL-22. The Berger 168 gr. at 3030 fps works very good for mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom