Thinking about a 7mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then go with .30-.378 Wthby.

I have shot / owned / loaded for 7-08, 7x57, .280 and 7mm Rem Mag over 40 years. There wasn't a single deer that could tell the difference. My shoulder and powder usage could definitely tell.
You do you then , I never argued the placement arguement only that YOU and everyone else is wrong with the short action is just as good argument . The math doesn't support it and yes magnums have a distinct ballistic advantage , when I feel the need for one I own a few. As I have aged though I have found that standard full size cartridges are do all cartridges ..

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know if the 7PRC is worth it or not, I’m sure you can push a 180 grain to and above 3,000fps but with the lack of support in brass currently I don’t think it’s worth it. I don’t think it’s even an ideal platform for the heavy 190 class bullets either. I also question whether it’s doing anything the 7wsm and 7saum have been doing for years.

As far a 7mm Rem Mag, current production rifles enjoy the same achilles heel their predecessors do. Usually long throats, short mag box, and slow twist (1 in 9). I was never able to get a 180vld to shoot good out of my 7RM.

As I see it, the only advantages to the 7PRC when compared to the 300PRC are: slightly less powder usage, ability to shoot lighter bullets, and slightly less recoil. If you could get the necessary speed to take full advantage of the 190 class bullets BC and these bullets performed great on game at distance, this for me might be a reason to look into a 7 PRC.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know if the 7PRC is worth it or not, I’m sure you can push a 180 grain to and above 3,000fps but with the lack of support in brass currently I don’t think it’s worth it. I don’t think it’s even an ideal platform for the heavy 190 class bullets either. I also question whether it’s doing anything the 7wsm and 7saum have been doing for years.

As far a 7mm Rem Mag, current production rifles enjoy the same achilles heel their predecessors do. Usually long throats, short mag box, and slow twist (1 in 9). I was never able to get a 180vld to shoot good out of my 7RM.

As I see it, the only advantages to the 7PRC when compared to the 300PRC are: slightly less powder usage, ability to shoot lighter bullets, and slightly less recoil. If you could get the necessary speed to take full advantage of the 190 class bullets BC and these bullets performed great on game at distance, this for me might be a reason to look into a 7 PRC.
Some good points but I figured lighter weight big game would include pronghorn whitetail and mule deer And 7 Rem Mag brass is easy to find. 7 wsm and 7 saum is hard to find brass. The short 7's have can have short throats too.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Agreed the twist on 7 Mag rifles could be better for some modern bullets but with many traditional flat base bullets I have found they shoot well enough

My experience is 7 Rem Mag rifles to be a mixed bag my Colt Sauer shoots 175 and 180 grain bullets fantastically , it does good with 150 and 165 grain pills but shines with the heavy pills.

When I tried the 162 ELD X which is not any longer than a 175 grain flat base hunting bullet it shot bucket lid size groups the Twist is 1-9.4 . My Remington PSS in 7 Mag doesn't like the ELD X either but shoots the Berger VLD Hunting bullets extremely well and has a 1-9 twist.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something to ponder on.

Want a 7mm that is known to be accurate and one that not every kid on the block has and runs right along side the .280 Remington ?.......think about a .284 Winchester.

I had a 15" handgun length TC Encore barrel chambered in .284 Winch. that was accurate out to 200 yds.

The .284 Winchester Cartridge: Still A Long-Range Champ - Shooting Times

I've still got 50 pcs. of factory once fired .284 Winch. brass that I could probably be traded out of.

Web grab and except for the scope brand it looked like this.......

encore 284.jpg

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something to ponder on.

Want a 7mm that is known to be accurate and one that not every kid on the block has and runs right along side the .280 Remington ?.......think about a .284 Winchester.

I had a 15" handgun length TC Encore barrel chambered in .284 Winch. that would put five rounds under a 1/2 dollar at 200 yds. (target is in the garage) scoped with a 2x6 Bausch & Lomb handgun scope off bags and loaded with 48.0 grs. of Varget under a Sierra 130 gr. bullet......imagine the possible group size if firing the round out of a rifle with a higher magnification scope.

I'd probably still have the barrel but after seeing how accurate it was a fella offered me more than I could turn down.

The .284 Winchester Cartridge: Still A Long-Range Champ - Shooting Times

I've still got 50 pcs. of factory once fired .284 Winch. brass that I could probably be traded out of.

Web grab and except for the scope brand it looked like this.......

View attachment 362249

I like the 284 Winchester and owned one for a long time, sold it foolishly as brass was getting harder to find and kept the 280 Remington with no regrets , funny thing is now 280AI brass is more readily available than 280 but its super easy to make if you have an ample supply of 06 .

Latest posts

Top Bottom