Thinking about a 7mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How is the .280AI on barrels?
No issue, velocities no different than any other cartridge shooting in the 2700fps to 3500fps range. I'm shooting 140gr at 3270 and 2950 with 175gr. 120gr easily in the 3475-3525 range. Kimber used to make 3 different mountain rifles in .280AI, not sure what they still offer.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7mm-08 is is ballistic equivalent

Any of the 3 will fill the requirements of lightweight, accurate, game cartridge.

If a short action is important then yes and its not a bad cartridge but either of the two I mentioned will out perform the 7-08 . The 7x57 in a modern action is much closer to the 280 or a 270 than the 7-08 just like a 6.5x55 will out perform a creedmoor .

There is no replacement for displacement

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a short action is important then yes and its not a bad cartridge but either of the two I mentioned will out perform the 7-08 . The 7x57 in a modern action is much closer to the 280 or a 270 than the 7-08 just like a 6.5x55 will out perform a a creedmoor .

There is no replacement for displacement
We ain't talkin' 454s vs 350s.

There is no replacement for shot placement.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ain't talkin' 454s vs 350s.

There is no replacement for shot placement.
While I do not disagree math is math and does equate into more downrange performance , I will go you one further I do not see a point in most short action cartridges when some "short actions " made by various manufactures are just as long as a standard action . There is no "short action" standard in that respect. Knowing this fact I am happy sticking with a standard length cartridge which gives me the additional performance benefits .

Math matters in some respects as I said earlier I am a numbers guy .

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I owned a 7mmSTW. I don't remember much about it, other than it was a flat shooter and really accurate. Killed a few deer, then came High School, Girls etc. Sold it. Always wanted another 7mm.

The 7 PRC has been peeking my interest lately and stirred up my want for a 7. Right now, quality match brass and lack of rifles on the market have me wondering if the juice will be worth the squeeze right now or wait a year?

7 mag is another option. Plenty of rifles chambered in it, ADG brass is available and load data is everywhere.

All that said, I have myself questioning whether or not another caliber with that punch is worth it being as I own and load for .300 PRC. I'm pushing a 230 grain slug a little over 2800 FPS with amazing results right now.

Those of you with say a 300WM and a 7 Mag, do you ever find yourself wanting less with the 300 or wanting more with the 7 Mag?

This will more than likely be a lighter weight rifle for long range big game hunting and some occasional ringing of steel.

Interested to hear your opinions

Thanks in advance OSA
To the OP are you talking a lighter weight rifle or lightweight rifle. LOL But there is a huge difference., I just got a Remington 700 in 257 Roberts AI with a HS Precision lightweight stock topped with a Zeiss 3x9x36mm scope. Its tough shooting one this light. But im getting better by outing with it working up a load.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I do not disagree math is math and does equate into more downrange performance , I will go you one further I do not see a point in most short action cartridges when some "short actions " made by various manufactures are just as long as a standard action . There is no "short action" standard in that respect. Knowing this fact I am happy sticking with a standard length cartridge which gives me the additional performance benefits .

True I wish my Rem 700 in 257 Roberts AI was in long action.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Then go with .30-.378 Wthby.

I have shot / owned / loaded for 7-08, 7x57, .280 and 7mm Rem Mag over 40 years. There wasn't a single deer that could tell the difference. My shoulder and powder usage could definitely tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom