Thinking of getting metal roof & radiant barrier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuTau007

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The initial cost will suck but the longevity of the metal roof will pay off. It will reduce your energy consumption if you go the proper rout. Define toy full tear off with radiant barrier and go with the heavy gauge Steele. Don't skimp on the metal, the thicker metal with withstand the normal hail. Remember nothing is hail proof when you start getting baseball size hail and up.

If you do get a hail storm don't just get a new roof because you have a few dents, the roof is not compromised and will last just as long. A few dents is not noticeable from the road. Now baseball and up hail is going to be noticeable.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have installed many metal roofs at work and have several other buildings with metal roofs and have not noticed any dents or damage from hail but then we dont get the size of hail you people up north do, but i do have to say most of our buildings are all metal shop like buildings with drop ceilings so i know as far as energy savings go it is different than it would be on a normal home. And its not bad standing on a metal roof as long as the pitch isnt to steep.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we had the lemon sized hail and it wasted the siding and my roof.. busted out neighbors windows and hammered a bunch of cars.

I have a metal roofed shed 2 of them and the thicker one has zero dents.
So not worried about dents.. and can't see the top of the roof from the ground.

I have a 2 story and the top of the roof is only a foot to 4 feet above the bedroom ceiling upstairs.
I have over 18" of insulation in the attic and the bedroom ceilings still get to the 80+ degree mark in the heat .
I really need something to reflect some heat.. Or maybe a bunch of solar panels to absorb heat.. Things to think about

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your house construction sounds similar to mine.
In respect to your upstairs getting hot in the summer - this is more of a heat-gain issue for the house - regardless of the roof material.
With that said, a radiant barrier under the metal would certainly help slow-down the heat transfer into the house.

If I were doing the metal roof again, I'd opt for the radiant barrier.
...Just for the little extra insulation value.

Best of luck.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents put a metal roof on the farmhouse when they bought it a few years ago. The insurance company required a new roof, but I don't recall why they went with metal. My dad had experience with metal from when he and I built the pole barn on what is now my place; that was in '89, and the metal still looks like new, even after hailstorms and near-misses by tornadoes. They've seen a few hailstorms on their house's metal roof and on the metal workshop, and there are no noticeable dents on either.

My dad used metal from Steelco in Paoli. I'm not sure if it was a kit or if he just calculated the materials, but they had everything needed, including the sheetmetal panels, the ridge caps, the butyl tape to seal between the panels, the pre-cut foam to fill the gaps between the caps and panels, and the color-matched screws to hold everything together.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the metal on my pole barn is from Star Metal in OKC, and, according to my dad, came from their "factory seconds" lots. I don't know if they do roofing, per se, but the metal on the barn has held up very well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom