While it is nice weather- think 'Winterize'!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that cold weather will be upon us soon... maybe sooner than we think what with the strange weather patterns we've been having the last few years. Now is a good time to start thinking about what you will need to do to winterize the outside of your homes and your car radiators... while the weather is pleasant for working outside. In the past I've been bad about waiting until I see the dark blue clouds of a 'Blue Norther' off on the horizon and a 35-45 MPH wind due in a few hours bringing a 30 degree temperature drop... then rushing around trying to do everything I need to do. Not this year!

Last friday we had all of the tree branches that were over hanging the roof trimmed way back, just in case we happen to get another big ice storm this winter... we didn't want a lot of heavy ice coated branches on the roof.

Flushed out the coils on the air unit.
I got the insulated faucet covers located for all the house's external faucets.
Made room for all the water hoses in the storage building.
Making a place on the enclosed patio for her large potted plants that won't survive out in the cold. Foam Pipe insulation & Duct Tape for all the faucets around the yard.....they are suppose to be the freeze proof kind, but I still turn the water off, drain the pipes & wrap them every fall.

*****Serviced the Generator.. checked the oil and cleaned the air filter. Checked the Battery. Mine runs off of natural gas so fuel storage isn't a issue... but if you have one that runs on gasoline, then you might want to consider going ahead and getting a large bottle of gas stabilizer to have on hand for when you get ready to fill your gas cans in preparation for a snow / ice event. Also, if you have gas left over from last year, you will want to discard it and get fresh gas for this year.

If you have any thing like a airless spray paint rig or a power washer stored in a shed without heat, you can get some RV water / toilet tank antifreeze and run some of that through the pumps [don't dilute it] to prevent the pump from freezing due to liquid being inside and it will keep your seals lubricated so they won't dry out. The Techs at Cambell Hausfeld recommended the RV antifreeze from Walmart over their own brand of pump preserver.. said it worked just as well and was a whole lot cheaper. Said it was what they used at home.

I also found that a couple of my roof's wind turbines had screws worked out of the braces due to vibration. So I got them repaired. Noticed that a couple of shingles were a slightly raised due to wind damage... so I stuck them down with a little fibered plastic cement. And flushed the gutters of twigs / leaves & dirt. Also, if you have any leaves or debris built-up in the valleys of your roof... water run-off from a heavy rain can back-up and run under your shingles. You want to keep the valleys clear of fall leaves & debris. We had a large Green Ash tree that dropped a lot of seeds and small twigs on the roof back a few years ago. The water that backed up caused several hundred $'s of damage in our front hall entrance way and I was up on the roof in a cold pouring rain cleaning the valley out. Because of that, that tree was cut to the ground and another reason I had all the tree branches on our other trees cut way back this year.

If you can think of any other tips people should think about in preparing for winter a little early, then chime-in. I've found that as I've gotten older it takes me a lot longer to get the house ready for winter than it did even a few years ago.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily winterizing, but I've got all of the summer recreational stuff (tents, chairs, ice chest, kayak, slip-n-slide, etc) up in the attic and out of the way.

Since the grass is still growing, I'll hold off on winterizing the mower for at least another month.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this winter will be pretty bad...seems like we get hammered with snow/ice every 2 years.

I flushed the radiators on our vehicles, cleaned the back yard, getting ready to winterize the lawnmower, weed eater, etc.

Really need to fix my wood stove and buy firewood....and well, fix my furnace lol. Been putting that off all summer.

Speaking of, its kinda frosty outside :freezing:

zodiacflyer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need to do a flush/fill on my impala. But I gotta replace the radiator first. Tanks split on the left side. I have had and known three others that have had the exact same thing happen right close to 160,000 miles. I thought I was gonna beat it, but one of those damn gravel haulers on port road dumped a GOOD shovelful of the back one day. That took care of my radiator. I was about 100 yards behind him when I heard the gravel go under. Just glad it didn't hit the A/C condensor too...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP: you did all this in one day?? :wink2:

But yes, I'll be doing some winterizing this fall, starting with having my chimney cleaned.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this winter will be pretty bad...seems like we get hammered with snow/ice every 2 years.

I flushed the radiators on our vehicles, cleaned the back yard, getting ready to winterize the lawnmower, weed eater, etc.

Really need to fix my wood stove and buy firewood....and well, fix my furnace lol. Been putting that off all summer.

Speaking of, its kinda frosty outside :freezing:

I saw on the weather last night that they are already having winter weather warnings up around the Great Lakes.

--------

Perplexed, It was done over a long weekend, and I had some help... especially with the trees. I'm taking the 'turtle' approach to this... get a early start, with slow but steady results.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. House, not yet. Car and truck...no later than the end of this month.
I always buy sand socks for my little truck and I already have cables for the tires.

I am going to order a set of Michelin Easy Grip composite snow...chains? They're more like a hard rubber.net that wraps on the tire. Will also make sure the wife can put them on her car. Nothing worse than being at work and it starts to snow. Knowing she doesn't know how to install these..may get a snow sock for her tires...easier to put on. Just to get her home.

By the way, just a side note. Instead of a new truck, I've been looking at the 2012, and when they arrive the 2013 Subaru Forester...AWD. With that little suv...should have built in winter preparedness!

Cohiba

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need to do a flush/fill on my impala. But I gotta replace the radiator first. Tanks split on the left side. I have had and known three others that have had the exact same thing happen right close to 160,000 miles. I thought I was gonna beat it, but one of those damn gravel haulers on port road dumped a GOOD shovelful of the back one day. That took care of my radiator. I was about 100 yards behind him when I heard the gravel go under. Just glad it didn't hit the A/C condensor too...

I don't know that much about radiators / and what it takes to repair them, but earlier this year the radiator in my '98 GMC P/U developed a stress crack on one side near the fill opening... the dealer suggested just having that side of the radiator replaced. Apparent, everything except the coolong coils and the cap is is made of a heat resistant plastic and was just a matter of taking it off and crimping in a new part. Supposedly saves money doing it that way. I finally decided to go with a new radiator as I may be driving this truck for a long while and the new radiator had have a longer warranty. But is was over $400+ gettng the job done.... OUCH!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, just a side note. Instead of a new truck, I've been looking at the 2012, and when they arrive the 2013 Subaru Forester...AWD. With that little suv...should have built in winter preparedness!

Cohiba

Once you get past the hippie and lesbian jokes, they are pretty awesome little SUVs. Subarus in general are great cars, but the Forester is high on my list to replace the Jeep in a few years. I just need to convince my wife she doesn't want a mini van :smack:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. House, not yet. Car and truck...no later than the end of this month.
I always buy sand socks for my little truck and I already have cables for the tires.

I am going to order a set of Michelin Easy Grip composite snow...chains? They're more like a hard rubber.net that wraps on the tire. Will also make sure the wife can put them on her car. Nothing worse than being at work and it starts to snow. Knowing she doesn't know how to install these..may get a snow sock for her tires...easier to put on. Just to get her home.

Cohiba

I hadn't heard of these.. but checked and found a video... they look pretty simple to attach.....

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-michelin-composite-snow-chains.aspx

Latest posts

Top Bottom