This ****ing drain won't stop leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF the plumbing to the wall is pulling on the tail piece.. or i guess if its not relaxed when you join them together.yes you will have problems . it may be a little cockeyed in the picture ni bad though.

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hit it harder and get a bigger hammer...

Ask the wife to hold it as you hit it.....

....are you making faces at it ?

Swear at it too ....that'll fix it fur sure........always save the big guns for last...

No need to thank me...I'm here to help......

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flipped the gasket over (which is threaded btw, never seen that before), put some thread tape on the threads above the gasket, tightened it down, and presto no leaks.

😤🤣

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, helpful or not.

Attachments

• 20230929_110306.jpg
    20230929_110306.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 0

R Hicks

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I would ditch the plastic sink parts, buy a metal grid strainer lavatory drain, and use plumbers putty under the strainer in the sink bowl. The beveled rubber goes over the 1-1/4" tailpiece bevel up from underneath, then a fiber washer to keep the nut from distorting the rubber. Tighten the nut but don't overtighten. Ive thrown away every plastic grid strainer assembly that comes with cheap faucets and went and bought metal ones. They are about $15 at the big box stores and worth every penny. Don't skimp on the putty step. Roll out a small rope of putty and press it around the strainer where it meets the sink bowl. Once you tighten the nut underneath, it will squeeze out the excess and seal the sink drain. Use a 1-1/4 P trap to finish your hook-up.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would ditch the plastic sink parts, buy a metal grid strainer lavatory drain, and use plumbers putty under the strainer in the sink bowl. The beveled rubber goes over the 1-1/4" tailpiece bevel up from underneath, then a fiber washer to keep the nut from distorting the rubber. Tighten the nut but don't overtighten. Ive thrown away every plastic grid strainer assembly that comes with cheap faucets and went and bought metal ones. They are about $15 at the big box stores and worth every penny. Don't skimp on the putty step. Roll out a small rope of putty and press it around the strainer where it meets the sink bowl. Once you tighten the nut underneath, it will squeeze out the excess and seal the sink drain. Use a 1-1/4 P trap to finish your hook-up.
thats how i re did mine

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the big plumbing supply Oatley & Koler both show the tapered Gasket going up like you first had it . which is how i have done them. so who the heck knows at least it quit leaking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom