This is crazy...... (tort reform)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I say the company is full of shizz. The Chinese make gas cans cheaper and Walmart will sell them.

If a company cant make it here in the US because they get sued out of business, then they need to blame the free market and Capitolism. Either make a idiot proof product or get out of bussiness (fan companies come to mind).

As for tort reform, we dont need it, we need smart people to quit avoiding jury duty.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is JB to tell us how wonderful lawsuits are?

Guess that's why any new gas can has some bizarre, convoluted spout on it now a days. Stupidity.

No the spouts are for CARB compliance, California clean air regulations that companies apply nationwide rather than make separate product for CA.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say the company is full of shizz. The Chinese make gas cans cheaper and Walmart will sell them.

If a company cant make it here in the US because they get sued out of business, then they need to blame the free market and Capitolism. Either make a idiot proof product or get out of bussiness (fan companies come to mind).

As for tort reform, we dont need it, we need smart people to quit avoiding jury duty.

If companies decided to follow the line of making an idiot proof product, they all better shut down operations now.

Some examples come to mind:

Kids gets hurt when he pulls a TV off the shelf and it lands on him. Sue the TV maker? Sue gravity?

Airplane runs out of fuel and crashes. Sue the maker of the plane?

Person backs into a car in a parking lot. Sue the maker of the car?

Drunk person falls out of a canoe on a float trip and drowns. Sue the maker of the canoe? Sue the water?

Field catches on fire while lighting fireworks. Sue the maker of the fireworks? Sue the place that sold the fireworks?

My point being that in this day and age no one wants to be responsible for their own actions. It always has to be someone else's fault.

This company made simple gas cans. They're made to hold gas, nothing more and nothing less. Say no fire was even involved but a kid decided to drink gas from one of the cans. Sue the company that made the gas can! Preposterous is what it is.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If companies decided to follow the line of making an idiot proof product, they all better shut down operations now.

Some examples come to mind:

Kids gets hurt when he pulls a TV off the shelf and it lands on him. Sue the TV maker? Sue gravity?

Airplane runs out of fuel and crashes. Sue the maker of the plane?

Person backs into a car in a parking lot. Sue the maker of the car?

Drunk person falls out of a canoe on a float trip and drowns. Sue the maker of the canoe? Sue the water?

Field catches on fire while lighting fireworks. Sue the maker of the fireworks? Sue the place that sold the fireworks?

My point being that in this day and age no one wants to be responsible for their own actions. It always has to be someone else's fault.

This company made simple gas cans. They're made to hold gas, nothing more and nothing less. Say no fire was even involved but a kid decided to drink gas from one of the cans. Sue the company that made the gas can! Preposterous is what it is.

i agree, its a simple gas can, if ya cant make one thats simple, either quit or make something else.
I dont think they should be responsible for certain stupid injuries but then im not on that jury.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like "loser Pays" tort reform. It's too easy to sue, and it costa about the same to defend yourself as it does to win, so therefore, we get so many settlements. If the loser has to pay the costs for both parties, maybe, some will think a little harder before running to an attorney when life doesn't go their way.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most people on the jury feel for the child and don't think a couple million is going to hurt the company, they think all businesses have insurance to cover lawsuits like these so why not give it to the child.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think all of you are stupid. I think a lot of you let your emotions rule your decisions and shape your world view. This prevents you from seeing the proverbial "bigger picture." That doesn't make you stupid, it makes you shortsighted.

And FYI junior, my life is very busy and it is "wonderful" because I have an incredible wife, great staff and good friends. Making your life "wonderful" is not that difficult. It just takes a little work.

No, I would not take a case like this. I feel for the child, and I wonder what evidence the jury had that compelled it to make an award against the company.

Whatever the case, it is a shame that the child was horribly burned and that the company has to close down. But also remember bankruptcy is a business tool, and the company may or may not stay shut down.

If it were your kid, maybe not.

I'm sorry, but every response you gave is totally lame, and I actually like you.

Yes, you would take that case as your an Injury Lawyer. Thats your job to take the case to court or settle, or loose.
Personally, I have a really bad taste in my mouth about this case.

The reason is that the company can take all precautions to defeat bad law suits, yet politions that are lawyers write the laws to benefit their profession.
According to my lawyer, a contract, or law is nothing but an excuse to contest it.

He is an injury lawyer as well, but we shoot pool on weekends.

The father should go to jail as an idiot, and the judge and jury in this case needs to spend time in the county slammer for failing to follow the law, as its evident they used emotion, and not law to reach their decision.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most people on the jury feel for the child and don't think a couple million is going to hurt the company, they think all businesses have insurance to cover lawsuits like these so why not give it to the child.

Are you freeking serious?????????

Insurance companies are a big money bag in the sky? Who finances them?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, Dennis, I would not have taken the case. Might have regretted not taking it, but I would not have signed it up. I decline cases every day. I'm sure I miss some "pay days" by doing so, but I feel good about the folks I represent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom