This is either full of bunko or awesomeness.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen them all re-enacted on History Channel shows, so I reckon they are true. Cracked has a rather unique way of describing them.
Mythbusters Jamie and Adam became the subject of literally millions of hate mails when they called the Hathcock shot busted because they couldn't shoot through a modern 3X9 riflescope with a .308. They did a retake of the show and using a period correct Russian rifle scope, a .30-06 with AP ammo and did indeed put a bullet through it and into a ballistics gel head. Whenever the original show re-runs they still get hate mail.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming the shot through the wall was with a .50?
I remember watching the Mythbuster's episode when I wasn't so firearm conscious and now really knowing what to think. Hathcock was a badazz though.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming the shot through the wall was with a .50?
I remember watching the Mythbuster's episode when I wasn't so firearm conscious and now really knowing what to think. Hathcock was a badazz though.

As explained in the video, not only was it a .50 caliber, but a specific type of round as well. Can't remember the name of the round, but it explodes.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I just get done reading my cracked.com articles for the day and check into OSA and what is the topic at hand? The same cracked article I just read! Some of those were pretty amazing shots but the one that made me go "ho-hum" was the suicidal guy getting the gun shot out of his hand from ~100 yards. They needed to add in the guy who used a Browning .50 cal machine gun to snipe though.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#5: My take - pure BS but then stranger things have been known to happen and everyone gets lucky sometimes.

#4: True - if not this exact case then something very much like it. IIRC the guy doing the shooting was supporting a marine platoon that was pinned down by enemy fire and awaiting extraction. The sniper took much pressure off that squad by pinning down and suppressing the Iraqis shooting at the marine platoon.

#3: Hathcock - I've heard this one before. True - maybe - if so another case of incredible luck.

#2: A 50 yard shot at a snub nosed 38 with a sniper rifle - hell I could make that shot. Probably true.

#1: True - I remember the news story when this happened - assuming one can believe the news story - since it was used to tell us all what a bad ass the obamanation was by allowing such an attempt in the first place.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything I've seen or read on the Hathcock shot is true. Hathcock himself said it was a luck shot, he was just aiming at the glare off of the enemy scope.
Hathcock was a badazz...........

Latest posts

Top Bottom