This makes me SICK...Spoonbill Poaching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I am certain dennishoddy's post was meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek. [Broken External Image]

Yes, it was...Kind of.

the statement was made,:

The thought crossed my mind to snap a picture of them and their truck to provide to the GW...but I just didn't feel like risking my life for a fish. I suppose I should have called it in, but at the time, I was rather naive to how lucrative the poaching was and didn't feel like ratting someone out for overfishing...

I'm not going to wander into a group of people that are breaking the law with a camera and start taking pictures. No sane person would do that. But I can take pics with my camera from a long distance, and I would have reported the situation immediatly. If you didn't want to, that is your personal business.
You also stated:
They had a processing area set up behind a large blue tarp next to their vehicle and I saw one of them carrying a bucket with at least 5 heads in it away from their vehicle towards a fire where they were burning the bodies.

Why would they burn the bodies when they could just be thrown back into the river to wash up somewhere else in this day and age of DNA testing. The eggs would point right to the ones burnt?

I don't know. I wasn't there so I can't pass judgment, but with this thread, I'm sure the wildlife department is looking into it if they weren't already.

I'm one that believes the wildlife in this state/country is here for the legal enjoyment of its citizens. If somebody want to come in and poach, taking game that shouldn't be theirs to take, I don't lose a minute of sleep turning them in.

Its not about protecting a fish...its about protecting a resource.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im glad you brought this up. I had no idea this was going on. I will keep an eye out for suspecious behavior. It wont be the first time I have called the local warden.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not about protecting a fish...its about protecting a resource.

Yes, and my response is also meant to be somewhat "tongue in cheek", no disrespect is intended. I admit I failed to take appropriate action and call the game warden...

It has been several years since I saw the tarp suspected processing station, multiple heads and gentlemen speaking what sounded like Russian (2005 or 2006). While I found evidence of the discarded bodies last year (that's when the pictures are from) and did see some people taking over the limit, I did not see any thing that looked organized on that trip.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No problem buddy.
Like I said, I wasn't there and cannot hold judgment.
Every situation has a different scenerio, and it has to be handled according to the individuals comfort zone.

tdkitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
it is sad to see some people have a lack of respect for wildlife and the others who want to enjoy and play by the rules. anytime i see a disrespect like this it makes me angry. especially when most of us do everything by the "rules".

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the pictures are a year old and the story is 5 years old? [Broken External Image]
Your original post did not read that way. Why did you start this thread again?

I go up there every year. The pics and story in the 1st (original) post are from last year.

If you go further into the thread, the post about the "russians" is something I saw there a few years back.

As for "starting it back up" I was just responding to comments from others...and maybe that got a laugh out of it...do you not like this thread?

I think a few people who didn't know about spoonbill poaching now know and awareness has been increased. So was this thread a bad thing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom