Thoughts on tinnitus/ hearing protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksimonton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The loud noise is harmful to our ear and may cause tinnitus, which is not curable and also may some different reasons. The earplugs are the only way to protect our hearing from the loud noise. According to some websites, there has a chance to ringing in the ear like riders, shooters, musicians, industry workers, swimmers, dentists, and other people too. Thoughts?

Safety must come first.......

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too late for me. I’ve had tinnitus for better than half my life and I’m only 50. A lot of time on open cab tractors, beating heavy metal so I could fix it, and way too many gun shots.

I thought I was bullet proof. I recently got hearing aids and the help with the ringing only slightly.

Don’t be a dummy wear something in your earholes.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in my early 20's, I had been shooting occasionally with no hearing protection. I read an article that said (if I remember correctly) that under the right circumstances, a single shot could permanently damage your hearing. I can only remember one time since then that I've fired without hearing protection, and that was a .17 hmr rifle. I suspect if I was tested, I'd have a little hearing damage but it's nowhere near enough for me to need hearing aids at this point. That was 40 years ago, so between shooting and loud music I've probably been lucky.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After SEVERAL concerts in my youth to shooting guns without hearing protection on in my later youth I have fairly decent hearing loss in my right ear. Its to the point wherr if im not looking at you when your talking to me from my right I can not hear you at all. My wife thought it was selective hearing untill I did a free hearing check at Sam's one day. When we got the results they showed that I've lost nearly 80-90 % hearing in my right ear and 20-30% in my left. They say I'm not a good candidate for hearing aids yet, but the tinnitus is constant. I'm partially deaf because of my ignorance. Its not all bad though, when my wife is chewing ass I just turn and put her on my right and every few minutes say uhh huh, your right, I understand.

EDIT: I have to stop trying to reply to these before I am fully awake, I can't spell, put a solid sentence together, or use punctuation at all.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plugs or muffs alone aren't enough. They've been recommending using both due to the low frequency passing through muffs, and high frequency passing through plugs. Especially when shooting indoors. I'll toss some of those radian jellies in then crank my electronic muffs up to hear.

Recently went to the blue tooth muffs for mowing, workshop, etc... around the house. Good tunes at a safe level makes the work fly by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom