Thoughts on tinnitus/ hearing protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had tinnitus since age 47 courtesy of Uncle Sam's aircraft. Over the years it worsened and I ignore it and it doesn't bother me until someone asks me if my ears ring! Hearing aids help a little but if I pay attention to the ringing it can drive me crazy. I read that sometimes it keeps people from sleeping or concentrating.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had it for decades, but can tune it out for the most part most of the time.

Left ear is almost gone to higher tones and the right is semi retired.

The scenes on tv where there are shoot outs inside is pretty funny, with no one holding their ears afterwards, it just doesn't happen like that!

I keep a set of Wolf Ears by my bed and I use them out on my little range.

Another thing to consider is your wife/kids in an inside firearm discharge. I make my wife keep a pair of muffs on her
night stand. If someone is breaking down the door, the plan is for her to put on her muffs and dial 911 and just hold on to the phone till the funs over.

Hopefully I can have my muffs on and be standing outside the closed bedroom door with my scattergun.

I can hear normal conversation just outside my front door with them on, and if I have to go outside (and you better have a damn good reason for shooting outside) she can take them off and talk to the 911 operator.

That's the ideal plan anyway :anyone:

Hope I never have to try it out.

OK....this post was way longer than I meant it to be...I'll shut up now.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that if I'm just shooting for fun that it makes my ears ring without ear protection but if I shoot a coyote from the feedtruck while I'm not wearing any muffs, I don't even hear the gun go off or have any ringing afterwards. Anybody else know what I'm saying?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that if I'm just shooting for fun that it makes my ears ring without ear protection but if I shoot a coyote from the feedtruck while I'm not wearing any muffs, I don't even hear the gun go off or have any ringing afterwards. Anybody else know what I'm saying?
It's called Auditory Exclusion.
Auditory exclusion happens as a physiological side effect of increased heart rate. When the heart rate approaches roughly 175 beats per minute, the sympathetic nervous system is activated enough that the brain reduces the amount of attention it pays to hearing in order to focus on sight. Auditory exclusion only occurs when the increase in heart rate is caused by hormonal changes, and will not occur if an individual is voluntarily participating in an intense form of exercise.

Boil all that down to buck fever as us hunters call it. ^^^^^^

Shooting without HP will eventually kill the nerve endings in your ears even though you experience Auditory Exclusion.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's called Auditory Exclusion.
Auditory exclusion happens as a physiological side effect of increased heart rate. When the heart rate approaches roughly 175 beats per minute, the sympathetic nervous system is activated enough that the brain reduces the amount of attention it pays to hearing in order to focus on sight. Auditory exclusion only occurs when the increase in heart rate is caused by hormonal changes, and will not occur if an individual is voluntarily participating in an intense form of exercise.

Boil all that down to buck fever as us hunters call it. ^^^^^^

Shooting without HP will eventually kill the nerve endings in your ears even though you experience Auditory Exclusion.
Daggum Hoddy! You answered the heck out of my question. I was expecting a yes or no but you went above and beyond.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting in my quiet office right now. The ringing in my left ear is deafening. The right is not as bad.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeap. I know all about this. Going on 20 years that I have somewhat ringing in my left ear.

Back when I was dumb(er) and stupid(er) we would go shooting all the time without any hearing protection. You would think the .308, 22-250 or 7mm mag rifles would of caused it. Nope, 9mm that was fired next to a car and I guess the sound bounced just right and was almost instant ring. I had vertigo for several days and was horrible trying to drive..

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yer goin' deaf...? :lookaroun

I'm guessin' (or at least hoping?) that you're not shootin' near as many times at the coyote... :D

But Dennis probably posted the real reason. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom