Thunder Stadium Vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think the Kansas City Chiefs have played in the same stadium since 1970 and haven't left town yet. It's just what kind of people the owners are I believe, greedy or not greedy.
Maybe they didn’t leave town because the city paid for major renovations with a big tax increase bond vote.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they didn’t leave town because the city paid for major renovations with a big tax increase bond vote.
I'm sure it wasn't a billion dollars worth. Don't think I've heard of the family threatening to leave if they didn't get a new stadium and they probably could with the amount of success they have had the last 3 years.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because the team will leave Okc for another city if we don’t build them a new one. Just like other countless pro teams have done: Rams, Browns, colts, SuperSonics, Raiders, etc.
I get that's the threat but surely they must have some type of argument that's better than that?

I say let Tulsa have them. If you want to go to a game head on down the turnpike. Tulsa can be the world class city.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it wasn't a billion dollars worth. Don't think I've heard of the family threatening to leave if they didn't get a new stadium and they probably could with the amount of success they have had the last 3 years.
I think it was 850 million in the 90’s so maybe a billion adjusted for inflation. Maybe their threats were in private.

add: Looks like the renovation was in 2006, so that’s 1.3 billion in todays dollars

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the end of the day, a nicer stadium also means that the team will have to pay a larger fee to the city for the use of the stadium, its grounds, and its parking, regardless of attendance. They don't just hang out for free. They pay for its use for every practice, every game, every event. More bigger means more other stuff can be here, like big rodeos, conventions, big concerts, etc... Things that the BOK Center and other state's superior facilities get over the current arena. Didn't we lose a major rodeo a few years back? Things we can't host anymore because the events look for larger centers or better made for the purpose. We don't have the cox convention center either anymore, so this new stadium would be pulling double duty. It’s not just a palace we build for the thunder, and the money made isn't exclusively from the basketball tickets/tax revenue.
Don’t worry, this place was doom and gloom when it came to building the BOK center, too

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was 850 million in the 90’s so maybe a billion adjusted for inflation. Maybe their threats were in private.

add: Looks like the renovation was in 2006, so that’s 1.3 billion in todays dollars
Only thing I have seen is that the building of the stadium in 1968-72 cost 300-something million, there were two renovations with budgets not posted, a 500 million (in 2022 dollars) renovation done in 2010, and now the chiefs are asking for another renovation of a similar tune.

Latest posts

Top Bottom