Ticks, I hate 'em

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless they become a problem for your chickens or something, leave the opossums alone. They eat a lot of ticks daily. One single opossum can kill and eat some 5,000 ticks in a single season. They are rabies resistant, and dogs love to bark at them. Personally if I had chickens, etc I would fence to keep the possums out and learn to live with them around. We even protect the possums that wonder into our yard now.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they become a problem for your chickens or something, leave the opossums alone. They eat a lot of ticks daily. One single opossum can kill and eat some 5,000 ticks in a single season. They are rabies resistant, and dogs love to bark at them. Personally if I had chickens, etc I would fence to keep the possums out and learn to live with them around. We even protect the possums that wonder into our yard now.
Turns out that is mostly BS.
https://forfoxsakewildlife.com/2021/07/29/oops-opossums-dont-actually-eat-ticks/
https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/possums-dont-eat-ticks/

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the complete answer to keep ticks off of your body. permethrin spray. The army discovered this product to keep the ticks,, chiggers, etc off of soldiers. Do not spray it on your skin just on your clothing. Let it dry and you will have pest proof garments. Sawyer's for one makes it. You can get it at Walmart. If it were not for this wonderful product I would not turkey hunt or anything else that involved getting out in the wood during warm weather. Try it you will be glad that you did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom