Tikka observation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally put my Yodave trigger spring in my Tikka T3 CTR. It brought the pull weight down from 40oz. to 21oz. without any additional adjustments to the trigger. I banged the crap out of the stock several times on the concrete trying to get an accidental discharge but everything seems to be working fine. I also replaced the aluminum recoil lug with a hardened stainless steel lug.

One thing I don’t know if I’m happy with is the free bore of the chamber. My son’s Savage chamber, shooting 143gr ELD-X bullets, has a CBTO length of ~2.26”. My Tikka with the same bullet has a CBTO length of ~2.30”. This doesn’t leave me much room in the magazine if I need to jam a VLD Berger into the lands. Anyway, loaded up 40 rounds, 10 sighters and 3 sets of 10 with different powder weights. Hopefully I’ll get out in a couple of weeks to try this new rifle out.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally put my Yodave trigger spring in my Tikka T3 CTR. It brought the pull weight down from 40oz. to 21oz. without any additional adjustments to the trigger. I banged the crap out of the stock several times on the concrete trying to get an accidental discharge but everything seems to be working fine. I also replaced the aluminum recoil lug with a hardened stainless steel lug.

One thing I don’t know if I’m happy with is the free bore of the chamber. My son’s Savage chamber, shooting 143gr ELD-X bullets, has a CBTO length of ~2.26”. My Tikka with the same bullet has a CBTO length of ~2.30”. This doesn’t leave me much room in the magazine if I need to jam a VLD Berger into the lands. Anyway, loaded up 40 rounds, 10 sighters and 3 sets of 10 with different powder weights. Hopefully I’ll get out in a couple of weeks to try this new rifle out.
For my Tikka 260 I wanted to load long Bergers in my magazine also. The 30-06 Tikka magazine also fits my 260, only internally setup for the longer bullets. I took the 30-06 magazine, modified it a bit and put a custom spacer in for the length I wanted. Been using it for several years now with no issues. You can find info on the modification by searching google. Not sure what caliber you have but check if the magazines have the same fit.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm shooting a 260 as well but I'm going to change the stock to a KRG Bravo chassis and they don't accept Tikka mags. I can order AICS mags without the restrictor plate but those will only allow me ~2.96" COAL.

Sometimes I wonder why a manufacture would advertise a Compact Tactical Rifle (CTR) with such a large amount of freebore knowing perspective buyers will probably be shooting VLD bullets. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen some 700's with a lot of free bore but the groups were excellent and bullets no where close to the lands.
Shoot and see.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be shooting VLD bullets for sure. I've shot enough of them in two different chamberings to know they like a little kiss to a jam. Hybrids on the other hand tend to like a little jump. Currently I'm trying Hornady ELD-X and they have been a little more challenging than Berger bullets.

With a 143gr ELD-X bullet in my Tikka chamber it's jammed at 2.3045" Base to Ogive. I loaded them at 2.3025"

Latest posts

Top Bottom