Time for a new 1911!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a while now I've been thinking about going from a 5" to a 4" 1911. Not long ago, I traded my 5" SR1911 away for another firearm, so now I'm 1911-less and I've developed a twitch in my left eye. Needless to say, my search for another 1911 is in high gear.

I loved the SR1911, and had initially planned on just getting the CMD version. I want a series 70, but wouldn't mind upgrading a little from the SR. I suppose series 80 isn't out of the question, and I could just convert it to series 70. Not really interested in Kimber/Para/Remington. Some of the Sigs like the C3 look interesting.

Anyways, looking at spending $1000 give or take a little. I'm thinking a used Colt, but want to make sure I'm not forgetting about other good options. Any opinions on a good 1911 commander?

Last edited:

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am enjoying my new scorpion. paid 900 at the gun show here in tulsa a couple months ago. threaded barrel. more accurate than me right out of the box. zero current expierience with commander. have fun.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just up that way earlier this week and probably won't be back for about a month, but I have a Springfield Range Officer and a stainless Colt Gold Cup that I am considering selling. They would both be within your price range.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a while now I've been thinking about going from a 5" to a 4" 1911. Not long ago, I traded my 5" SR1911 away for another firearm, so now I'm 1911-less and I've developed a twitch in my left eye. Needless to say, my search for another 1911 is in high gear.

I loved the SR1911, and had initially planned on just getting the CMD version. I want a series 70, but wouldn't mind upgrading a little from the SR. I suppose series 80 isn't out of the question, and I could just convert it to series 70. Not really interested in Kimber/Para/Remington. Some of the Sigs like the C3 look interesting.

Anyways, looking at spending $1000 give or take a little. I'm thinking a used Colt, but want to make sure I'm not forgetting about other good options. Any opinions on a good 1911 commander?

FWIW, you might want to stop thinking of all 1911s in "series 70 and series 80" as that's a Colt designation. Not all FPSs are the same, Colt's is the best and the most reliable IMO but I agree with not wanting a 1911 with a FPS. For the money, it's hard to beat what Ruger offers in a commander.

Justin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a C3 and I've really enjoyed it. Seems to be real accurate, very smooth. They say holster selection is limited, but I've been able to find a few iwb and owb for it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a SR1911 and really like the fit & finish. I've never shot it and not sure if or when I will so I can't comment on its function. It's an outstanding 1911 for $650. If I had $1k to spend On a 1911, I might get the SR 1911 and upgrade the grips to Crimson Trace. I'm not sure there is a much better new one under $1k than the Ruger but I'm no expert like others here.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 Sig 1911s. A 5" Scorpion which I really like, it functions well and is very accurate, not so good for carry. The second is a Sig 1911 RCS in two-tone with 4" barrel. It too functions very well and is accurate. The RCS stands for Revolution(ary) Custom Shop. It is one of their latest models, which is built in their custom shop. I recall that pricing on these runs from $800+ to $900 depending on the deals available. I used to own a Kimber 1911 Compact CDPII and the Sig 1911 RCS compares favorably (IMHO) in looks and feel to the Kimber.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a 1911 freak and don't currently own but have given some thought to the Ruger and the Remington. Now that Remington has made the decision to give the finger to NY and move to Alabama, I may just congratulate them by buying one of their Alabama-made 1911s after they get production ironed out in the new location.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna side with GMThunder on getting a Colt. If you patient you'll find a Commander for $1000. Maybe even in the OSA classifieds. No doubt you can find a good Colt Commander if you'll up your cash to $1300.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand wanting a colt for the namesake but it would awfully hard to beat the ruger commander for the price and have a little room to upgrade. Good luck on your search.

Latest posts

Top Bottom