Time to start food plots.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got out this weekend to start putting in food plots, and preparing to plant wheat.
Man, I should have hit the fields a couple of times this summer. Talk about growing up in weeds! This area has been getting a little rain all summer. Weed stalks the size of your wrist were tough getting chopped up.

This is a small food plot before and after pics. Its going to need a whole lot more work, but its coming along.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_ef67b8eb.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_218d329c.jpg

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like you got a lot of rain. Dad and I disced this weekend northwest of Enid and it was almost like powder. We are looking for a good price on winter peas and where we stashed our turnip seeds. After the barn blew down we can't find anything! Had 9 on our alfalfa field at 6:30 Saturday morning. One buck small 6 but it has white splotches all over it's back. He will be easy to track.

Also saw a juvenile road runner. Pretty cool.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
dennishoddy, if that's 1/2W and 1/2S of Mr. NW I'm encouraged! Going to try to put in some tractor time N of there this weekend and wouldn't have dreamed there would be that kind of moisture. I sprayed everything about a month ago and the weeds were short and it was incredibly dry.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - ya need to tell the folks that you are planting early because of your work load in Sept and October. It is too early to plant fod plots because we will still have a lot of heat and dry conditions until Mid October which can shrivel the best laid plans. I am praying for rain none the less.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what deerslayer said it is to hot to be planting wheat,rye,oats it will do better if planted around the the 20th of sept after it cools off some but keep ground worked to keep moisture if we get a rain and to keep weeds killed oh i pray for some some rain good luck to everyone 1 month from now and we can be slinging arrows

Latest posts

Top Bottom