tips on finding brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i shoot at home, not on a range. and i always loose brass, ive tried laying down a tarp for the shells to land on. anybody use those brass catchers? if only i could invent a magnet that attracted brass.....

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After shooting at the farm I turn my girlfriends 4 yr old daughter loose on the area lol. She seems to be able to find any brass I cannot. Young eyes or being closer to the ground idk but she sure is good at it! and enjoys it too! even brass from another shooting outing. We are working on sorting brass and tumbling now also (start em young!!)

Other than that keep the grass short as possible and don't move around to a dozen different spots. Or do what I do a lot and shoot revolvers and bolt actions and single shots :)

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the biggest canvas tarp I could find at lowes for pistols and rifles. I am surprised you havent had good results with this. I usually gain brass each range trip because my tarp collects what I shoot and then I pick up what others have left behind. The best brass catcher I have seen be employed is an old Crappie net mounted to a stand. If you are shooting stationary this might work.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just tried the UTC brass catcher, it did catch brass and I liked the zipper on the bottom of the bag so you can leave the bag open and brass drops straight down. Only drawback is if you have some form of malfunction, you can't see the chamber area to see what's going on in there. But overall, yeah it saved me a ton of time searching/picking up my 6.8 brass.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're using a bench for shooting, you can make a brass catcher out using some PVC pipe for the frame and some nylon netting attached to the frame so it sags at the bottom; clamp the frame to the side of the bench and you're GTG. Strong winds might tip over the catcher, or dump its contents out onto the bench, though.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mow the grass as short as possible to create at least a 30ft circle, and shoot from that circle. Shoot a lot in one direction, and find out where your brass ejection pattern is. It won't ever be 100% consistent, but it should be a regular pattern. That pattern will be different from gun to gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom