To till or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok...ever since I can remember anyone I was around that had a garden or pasture always tilled in the (usually) fall. I was always told it was good to till under the grass, weeds, old plants and such to make fertilizer for your next springs crop. However I have been told recently (you guessed it by BB) that that isnt a good thing to do. We each can find various refrences that make our argument the right one but what about your personal experience. Oh and if I win anyone got a tiller I can borrow for a few days?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you didn't have to much problem with weeds and grasses, spread some wheat or oats and let it grow. If it grows like crazy mow it down to highest mower setting. Work the green vegetation under a month before you plant and then work it a couple weeks after the first tilling. This will add organic matter to the soil.

If you had lots of bermuda grass, you can till a few times during the winter to help kill off the bermuda springs.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know how big or type of soil u have but we never tilled in the fall but we had a large garden and very sandy and if we had a dry fall and winter with alot of wind we got alot of wind erosion if we tilled in the fall so we just left all of the old foliage on it and tilled in the early spring

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd till it. Mainly cause I like to run the tiller. Same with my chainsaw. Kinda like a motorcycle. Sometimes I go in the backyard and just rev it up a couple of times.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you didn't have to much problem with weeds and grasses, spread some wheat or oats and let it grow. If it grows like crazy mow it down to highest mower setting. Work the green vegetation under a month before you plant and then work it a couple weeks after the first tilling. This will add organic matter to the soil.

If you had lots of bermuda grass, you can till a few times during the winter to help kill off the bermuda springs.

That's the plan I use. I use clover but same deal. I also "solarize" after tilling in the green plants in the spring prior to planting. http://m.organicgardening.com/organicgardening/#!/entry/soil-solarization,51cc5832da27f5d9d0eb70f3

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google nematodes and you will find that some plants need to be removed before tilling. Tomato's being one. There are others.

this is just a little snippet of what they can do to a garden, and yes we have them in Oklahoma They are the devil to remove. The pesticides to kill them are not available to the general public.

Nematode spread

A note about nematicides

Chemical nematicides are highly toxic and unsuitable for home garden use. Their use is subject to state and federal regulations, and usually only licensed pesticide applicators may purchase and apply them.

Some products have been developed from bacteria, fungi or substances produced by plants for control of nematodes in home gardens. These may be labeled as botanical, biological or organic nematicides. To date, however, results of using these products have varied widely.

Most plant parasitic nematodes, especially root-knot, get into the garden by either infested soil or infested transplants. Infested soil is easily moved from one garden to another on equipment — not only tractors and implements but also hand tools such as shovels, hoes and rakes. Shoes or boots can carry soil that contains nematodes. Wheelbarrow and vehicle tires can also move nematodes, especially when muddy. Thousands of root-knot juveniles can be present in a tablespoon of soil. Before moving equipment and tools from a known root-knot infested garden to a noninfested one, power-wash off all traces of soil or disinfect by washing with a 10 percent bleach solution.

Harmful nematodes such as root-knot can get into a garden through the generosity of neighbors or family members who share their favorite vegetable or flower transplants. Careful inspection of the roots of transplants for root-knot galls is helpful, but often on young roots they may be too small to be seen. Usually, transplants purchased from a reputable dealer will be free of root-knot nematodes.

Another source of nematode-infested soil is improperly or partially decomposed compost. Roots infested with root-knot galls should be destroyed and not composted. The compost pile needs to be properly managed to ensure that harmful nematodes do not survive. Heat generated from decomposition and winter temperatures can kill root-knot nematode, but not always. Care should be taken when adding compost back into the garden to ensure that nematodes and other soil-borne pathogens are not reintroduced and spread throughout the garden. For more information on composting, see MU Extension publication G6956, Making and Using Compost.

Plant symptoms

Plants affected by plant-parasitic nematodes show foliar symptoms similar to those caused by inadequate moisture, poor nutrition or root rot. Affected plants may be stunted and have pale or yellow-green foliage. They may wilt readily under warm, breezy conditions even when soil moisture is adequate. Plant symptoms may range from the undetectable to plant death, depending on the susceptibility of the plant, environmental conditions and the number and species of nematodes attacking the plant. Established plants usually can withstand nematode feeding on the roots, but young plants are particularly vulnerable.

Nodules on the roots of beans and peas can be mistaken for early symptoms of root-knot nematode. Nodules are beneficial structures caused by certain bacteria that supply soil nitrogen to peas and beans. Nodules are attached to the side of roots rather than swollen parts of the roots or nematode cysts.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd till it. Mainly cause I like to run the tiller. Same with my chainsaw. Kinda like a motorcycle. Sometimes I go in the backyard and just rev it up a couple of times.

I believe this is the crux of the issue here ... :D Same with the generator and the big ol' compressor he has. Basically anything that stinks and makes a lot of noise needs to be fired up at least once a month ... :rolleyes2

Today he was wanting a motorcycle ... :rolleyes2 I swear ... I need to take him out to NightTrips or DoubleD or something and get his mind off tearing **** up ... :rolleyes2

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom