To till or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the roots are exposed to a hard freeze and dried out, they will die. This is caused by tilling. Bermuda can be turned brown by roundup but it often comes back.

Yup. Problem is NOTHING else will come back ... but that damned bermuda grass will! :D

I have a plan ... (Yes, I heard that collective defeated sigh men let out when a woman says "I have a plan" ... :rollingla). I'll let him till once. Just so he can get it out of his system. Good thing for him I didn't feel good last year and didn't get everything done the way I wanted it or there would be nothing to till ... Just wait until I show him what he needs to till up in the front yard ... :naughty: :rollingla

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I vote for neither...fire gets my vote. Ive tilled an not tilled, havent noticed a difference. But burning ive noticed I dont grow as many sandburrs. I havent burned in 2 years and i had a bumper crop of stickers this year.

If my health holds and I get my garden spot burned, im planning on puttin in a huge garden this spring.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a gamble Scott.

Just til half of it and see which works.

Of course if you're wrong you know what's coming........

:shocked: I can't believe you'd say something so mean ... :(

(Yeah, no kidding ... :naughty: :rollingla)

I vote for neither...fire gets my vote. Ive tilled an not tilled, havent noticed a difference. But burning ive noticed I dont grow as many sandburrs. I havent burned in 2 years and i had a bumper crop of stickers this year.

If my health holds and I get my garden spot burned, im planning on puttin in a huge garden this spring.

I'm for "killing it with fire" also but alas, the city would probably frown on us setting our front yard on fire ... :lookaroun

I am so glad you are finally feeling better and am praying you have a long, long "good spell" ahead of you now. :)

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pull up all the old tomatoes, peppers, rake everything. Pile leaves in garden. (they will be plentiful and deep, mostly sycamore and maple around my house) Run mower over leaves, till into garden. Usually do this about the end of December. Every couple of years, I get a truckload or three out of horse barn and till it in also.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pull up all the old plants and till the rest. Haven't had any problems. I just do it cause I dont want last years crops growing in random spots the next year. This year however, we plated our first fall/winter garden to see how it goes. I did the same thing tho, pulled all the old stuff and tilled the dirt and what little grass was in there.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. Guess I just need to find a tiller to borrow...then convince BB we NEED one....

If you two are going to be doing serious gardening, you need a tiller. Tilling organic fertilizer into the ground during the off season can really help a garden.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use one of those small Mantis type tillers, it also doubles as an edger if you change the blades. I takes about 4-6 times longer to till our garden than it does if I use my father in laws, but it gets the job done and it was cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom