To till or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
and this is what tilling is like in western Oklahoma:

[Broken External Image]

No kidding, it's been dry. When Hoddy came over to dove hunt, he farted and blew up a cloud up dust that looked just like that!

We didn't do a fall garden this year, would have been a good year to do one though, temp and rain wise.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know that you really do not need to till the garden spot. Just let some of GC's cop friends overhear BB saying that spot is where she buried an old boyfriend and they will come dig it up for free. :D :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding, it's been dry. When Hoddy came over to dove hunt, he farted and blew up a cloud up dust that looked just like that!

We didn't do a fall garden this year, would have been a good year to do one though, temp and rain wise.

HEY! Quit feeding me bean burrito's!

Seriously, Ditch Witch has a 1200 HP trencher that does a 3' trench in an incredible short period of time. Its like a fuel dragster. Sales gimmick, but impressive.

To reply about the glyphosphate, its attacks the roots as we all know, but I didn't realize how deep the roots went until we had to run a 2' trench across our yard. The Bermuda roots were 18" deep. I was amazed.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe this is the crux of the issue here ... :D Same with the generator and the big ol' compressor he has. Basically anything that stinks and makes a lot of noise needs to be fired up at least once a month ... :rolleyes2

Today he was wanting a motorcycle ... :rolleyes2 I swear ... I need to take him out to NightTrips or DoubleD or something and get his mind off tearing **** up ... :rolleyes2

You could just put the brass pole up in the bedroom and put on your Santa's naughty helper outfit. :urwelcome:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pull up all the old tomatoes, peppers, rake everything. Pile leaves in garden. (they will be plentiful and deep, mostly sycamore and maple around my house) Run mower over leaves, till into garden. Usually do this about the end of December. Every couple of years, I get a truckload or three out of horse barn and till it in also.

Pull up the squash / zucchini vines and put in a plastic trash bag and through them away. Squash bug eggs are dormant on the vines, tilling them in is what they want.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. Guess I just need to find a tiller to borrow...then convince BB we NEED one....

Go to Home Depot and rent a tiller. The rear tine is $65 a day, includes a gas can of gas. They store it, clean it, tune it, load it. Ours has 3 sizes, depending on how much garden you have, smallest (I think) is $50.

I figured a $650 tiller = 10 yrs of rentals. and I would have a 10yo tiller or using a practically new tiller every year and not having it taking space in the barn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom