took a kid deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother in law is 12 years old and he has been wanting me to take him hunting for the past few years. I told him and his parents that as soon as he got his hunters safety course done then I would be glad to take him. Well he finally got his safety course taken this summer and was ready to get out and hunt.

We made plans to go on Wednesday before thanksgiving because he would be out of school and I was going to be off work. I work in the oil field and those of you who know the oil field know that plans get made and cancelled because things never quite go right. I was supposed to be home early Tuesday night to end my days on, but of course the job didn't quite go right so we had to stay on location later than planned. I ended up getting to head home at about 1 A.M. I pulled into the yard at just after 3 A.M. I was completely worn out and wasn't thinking about getting out in the deer woods that morning, I had been up for over 24 hours and I just wanted to sleep. I was supposed to go pick up my BIL
at around 3:30 from his house. I didn't have any service out on location so I couldn't call and let him know we wouldn't be going that morning.

I pull in my driveway at 3:30 A.M. and walk in the house to see my BIL wide eyed and bushy tailed watching TV in my living room. My wife had him stay the night at our house so we could just leave from there, I just didn't know it. He looks at me and says " I'm ready to go". I said " ok just give me a minute". I walk in the bed room and ask the wife what was going on and she said she didn't know I would be so late getting home, so she had him stay the night. I told her that I wasnt planning on going and she said well you don't have to. I asked her how I was gonna walk in the other room and tell a 12 year old that I wasn't going to take him hunting. She says "well your truck is loaded with all your hunting gear and his stuff is all loaded up too." I couldn't believe it, she really had loaded all my gear, even my rifle and bullets. Had all my clothes and everything. I was impressed. So I walk back to the living room and tell him that I was gonna shower and then we would head out. We get in the truck and head out. A 5 hour energy and a lot of talking to keep me awake for the 110 mile drive to my lease and we get there.

That morning there were no deer moving at all. He was a little disappointed cause we hadn't seen anything. I just told him it was like that sometimes. That evening we set up on the edge of a wheat field. Usually there are deer on that field fairly early, this night they weren't moving at all. It was getting dark, he was pretty much done with it cause we had about 5 min of shooting light left. He was playing in the dirt when a deer came walking in on a ridge from the west. It was a buck but I couldn't tell how big it was, and I didn't care. It was a deer within range for him to shoot and he was gonna get to take it. I whispered."deer" he says "where?" I say "on the wheat to your left". He says "I can't see it" I said "he is walking on the ridge its a buck, shoot it". He is looking for it and he finally sees it. I said "get your rifle up and ready and find him in your scope". He says "ok I am on him". I say "take him" and he tries to pull the trigger and it doesn't fire. I say "safety off" he clicks the safety off and the deer stops broad side at about 75 yards and he says "shoot it?" I said "yes". He pulls the trigger and that deer fell where he stood. Man was I pumped. I slapped him on the back and jumped up. He said "did I hit it?" I said "yes he fell right there." I slapped him on the back again and he looked at me kind of with an amazed look on his face. I took off towards the deer to make sure he was down and dead. He was. I think I was more excited than he was. We got it loaded up In the truck and got him gutted. It ended up being the 5 point that I had seen opening weekend that needed to be shot. He had a small messed up rack but he was a trophy none the less. I have pics, just none I can post right now.

I have taken 3 people now on their first deer hunts and gotten them all deer on their first day. I enjoy seeing a new hunter get his or her first deer more than I enjoy taking a trophy myself.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!

Kudos to you for putting in the extra time with no sleep and your wife for making sure you got it done right!

He will never forget the first hunt!

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom