top break revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Webley MK IV, .38, 1950's commercial production. Sights regulated for 146 grain load per the factory paperwork. Purchased NIB years ago. Finish is better than wartime production, but fit up of the action is a shadow of what was once Webley quality.

[Broken External Image]

Webley MK IV, .38, War Production. Despite being marked 38/200 the sights are "on" with 178 grain bullets loaded to to an approximation of the original specs. Marked "War Finish," fitup is very good.

[Broken External Image]

The above, along with the .455 MK I-VI series are examples of trigger plate action Webleys. Below is a pic of a WG 89 Army Model, .455/.476 calibre. Fit & Finish superb. The action of the WG series is within the frame. Note the sideplate. The double action of the WG uses a "V" spring like a Colt; stacking, however, is much less apparent. Double action shooting feels more like the best S&W's. The barrel is about 0.001 larger than the chamber mouths. Therefore hollow base bullets (like those of the period) must be used. Best accuracy (~1 1/4" @ 25) is obtained with a much softer bullet than the original, cast about 1:35. Forget wheel weights or the original 1:12 alloy, accuracy is dismal. Light loads of Bullseye or PB have been found to be suitable.

[Broken External Image]

If the pics load slowly please bear with my server. It has been under attack all weekend.

Bob

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Smith & Wesson Baby Russian in .38 S&W. It's a neat little gun and a nice conversation piece. I'm not sure it's really practical for anything, though. Ammo for it seems very hard to come by. I hadn't seen anything like it posted in here yet.

Attachments

• 38SW.jpg
    38SW.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 192

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a H&R 999 22. Rather worn, but nice little revolver. I own it, but my son possesses it. Doubt I ever get it back, but that's ok.

9 shots and easy to load and unload.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a .38 Webley a long time ago - shot a 12" pattern at 25 feet with old .38 S&W 200 grain loads. Plus the cylinder wouldn't always quite line up with the barrel, yet the hammer would still drop. Traded it away to someone who wanted to work on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom