Torn between which .22 to get.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love .22 rifles. I've shot many but only own one currently, a Marlin Model 60. I want another, and am torn between a Henry H001T lever action and a Ruger 10/22.

Pros of the Henry is it's tube-loaded and I've got a speedloader already. Plus, lever actions are fun, fun guns. It's the most expensive of the two, so that's a con; but not a horrible one because I've got the funds either way.

Pros of the Ruger is it's customizable like woah, which is a nice option to have in case I ever get interested in that side of the game. It's also magazine loaded, and there are some nice high-capacity mags out there to play around with. The only con is I'd have to find a good speedloader.

Man. Decisions, decisions. Just when I think I've made up my mind, I go and get another idea. A part of me is saying: get something you don't already have! Since the Marlin is tube-loaded, I'm leaning toward the Ruger. But the lever action of the Henry keeps pulling me back in.

Now, don't say "Get both! :urwelcome:" Haha.

Thanks for any input.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at a Henry tonight up at Academy. They had the obligatory triggerlock on it and the lever ziptied. :pissed:

I was impressed with the appearance. The workmanship looked a lot like a Belgian Browning. High polish, great wood and great fitment. Looked like they pay attention to detail. I will have one soon.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both and its easy for me to say that the 10/22 is far superior. But I like the lever gun better! As for speed loading the 10/22, Butler Creek makes a good one that workswith their mags.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a Henry tonight up at Academy. They had the obligatory triggerlock on it and the lever ziptied. :pissed:

I was impressed with the appearance. The workmanship looked a lot like a Belgian Browning. High polish, great wood and great fitment. Looked like they pay attention to detail. I will have one soon.

Ah, now even more tempting. A new Academy is opening up soon here in Norman, so they can expect business from me. Plenty of it.

I've got both and its easy for me to say that the 10/22 is far superior. But I like the lever gun better! As for speed loading the 10/22, Butler Creek makes a good one that workswith their mags.

I was looking at some Tactical Innovations mags. I can get three 25-rounders for about $50. And I know TI makes a speedloader for their magazines, so I'll have to look into that.

But man, levers are sweet, aren't they? Haha. I'll just be kicking myself if the zombie apocalypse goes down and I chose the lever action :doh:

What about the Marlin 39A? If you like lever action, it's hard to beat.

I can't find any local. Last I called, everyone was out. I'll check with Bass Pro tomorrow, but for the price, I'd much rather buy both the Henry and Ruger.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'd get the 10/22 JMHO

Noted. Thanks for the input!

I hope you have something a little more robust than a .22 in that situation.:rotflmao:

Haha. I'd be "that guy" who everyone thinks is crazy cause all I'd use are .22 rifles. But once those little bullets pierce the skull, they bounce around in the cranium just fine.

But a 30-30 is a nice one to have around, too. :D

it's a lot of fun modifying the 10/22 in addition to being such a reliable gun

Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Top Bottom