Torn between which .22 to get.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both guns (in modern-day form) have tons of cheaply cast parts as well as a multitude of plastic in places where aluminum or steel used to be. They're both good guns though, but neither is the epitome of quality.

A CZ 452 would be a much better rifle if you were willing to go for a Bolt-action, but for fun-factor, its hard to beat a 10/22 or a Henry lever.

The Henry's action is smooth as glass and its just a fun rifle. In my opinion, I wouldn't put a scope on one (I didn't put one on the .22mag Henry I had). You can put almost as many goodies on a Henry as you can a Ruger, they just go in the Cowboy category and not the tacti-cool category. They make several different parts/mods for the Henry including a large-loop, different sights, a metal barrel-band, leather stock-packs and fancy leather saddle-holsters, etc...

A plus for this rifle is that it will not jam the way a semi-auto rifle will (yes, the Rugers are somewhat picky about ammo - you can't run the cheapest stuff through them all day without a hiccup - and if it hiccups, you often have to take a little time to clear the jam). With the Henry, just cycle the lever and keep shooting.

Rugers are fun too - and if you want to spend some money on an addiction, a 10/22 is a good place to start. I've got two and can't complain about them a bit. They're pretty reliable for a semi-auto if you keep them clean.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I had my first 22 back. A Marlin model 10 purchased at TG&Y for like $30. I sold it to a school friend close to thirty years ago for probably peanuts. Kids do stupid things.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned both. When we go shooting, both rifles go. The Henry's pretty to look at and buttery smooth. But for shootin pleasure and accessories, I would go with the Ruger first.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both guns (in modern-day form) have tons of cheaply cast parts as well as a multitude of plastic in places where aluminum or steel used to be.

At the gun show at the tulsa fairgrounds a few weeks ago I bought a brand new never been fired 1981 ruger 10/22 for $190.00, it is in flawless condition and even still has a manufacturers sticker on the buttplate. I took it out this weekend and put about 30 rnds through it (I kinda hated to do it but after 28 years I think it was ready). anyway, I looked at a new 10/22 the other day and there is a noticable difference in quality, fit and finish.
If you go with a 10/22 you should look for an older model that has been well taken care of.

SMF223

Marksman
Reaction score
Such a hard decision to make, there is something about the classic lever gun that makes it so fun to shoot, like going back in time. But the 10/22 is also a lot of fun, you can make it look about any way you like. Both are fine shooting rifles.

HMT204

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are ton of mods for the ruger 10/22.... But

I like my Savage 64F .22, just make sure to buy several 10 round mags for it. Only thing synthetic is the stock everything else is steel or aluminum. The nice thing IMO $170 at Wal Mart.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom