Tractor Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Kubota L3800 in 2013 with shuttle shift. Love it. A neighbor at my cabin had 2 L3400s - one HST and one shuttle shift. I got a chance to try both and liked the SS better. Both have advantages. Use the Grapple more than anything. I own 10 acres near Catoosa. For 45 acres, I would look at 50 HP and up. I would also get a used one that does not use DEF.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if i was planning on moving round bales i would get a bigger tractor than the mx5100. i can lift and move grass bales as long as i keep them real low because if i drive over a gopher mound it will tip over. the lift capacity isn't all that bad but it is to light in the rear even with the tires full of ballast. get a 70 hp or bigger tractor for the work and a mower for the yard build some fence and get some cows to eat the grass

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what this specific Kubota tractor is worth, but after months of shopping 35-55 hp tractors I know they are currently bringing premium prices.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how a 2019 Kubota L2501 could possibly lift a round bale. Find a used 40-50hp HST.
I have a Ford 1910, which matches up pretty squarely with the L2501, and it can lift a 5x6 round bale.

Mind you, it can't haul it anywhere because the rear tires are just off the ground, but it can lift it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Great info. The L2501 is in my sights only because the sellers of the house have it onsite and seem to want to get out of town asap to their new place in Wyoming. He may not want to deal with selling it and his broker told me he has no way of hauling it up there. I have been all over the Kubota website and would most likely get a larger one in the 35-40hp range if the L2501 didn't work out or he's asking close to what a new one would cost. Wifey pretty much already told me to get whatever I want but we are having a ton of money outlay the next couple months as we also have on order a 2022 Ford Expedition for her and approx $60K in taxes from 2021. I'm also going to have to buy a zero turn mower which will have another thread down the line.

To answer other questions: The tractor has about 12-15 acres to mow and the zero turn probably another 5-6. The rest of the 45 acres will be trees and brush for hunting. And yes, we are really looking forward to the Bristow area. North of town off Hwy16 about halfway between Bristow and Shamrock.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of my previous tractors have been big farm stuff but since retiring bought a compact Mahindra with Front loader and so on.
If you can get a good deal with the Kubota, go for it. Great tractors with a history.
If the deal is too steep, consider looking at Mahindra. Pretty good machinery. When looking, I considered every brand made and money wasn't an object. I got sold on the Mahindra.
Not to start a what is best war, but it's what I decided on for my personal use and its gear driven. I use the front loader a lot to move material. The granny range is great to ease up to the pile of rock ultra slow under full power to get a full scoop.
The grapple attachment your looking at on the Kubota is priceless when clearing brush. If you end up not getting it, there are alternatives that work almost as well.
Discuss that when and if you need to look elsewhere.
I know 2 guys who chose mihindra after comparing several brands, one guy purchased a 2wheel drive tractor only then decided he wanted a loader, he soon found out he could trade his old one in on a new package deal 4x4 and more horsepower for not a lot more than buying a loader for the tractor he had, resale don't drop much on those little tractors. the other guy got one of the largest mihindras cab 4x4 package deal with several attachments, both guys like the tractors

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't get a Mahindra. They have a much higher incidence of failure. You can see this by doing a quick search for Mahindra tractors and seeing how many are being sold for cheap because of a bad engine. Go for a US or Japanese built tractor. The germans are pretty good at it as well.
I have three friends with Mahindra tractors. Zero issues except for mine where the emergency flasher switch failed.
3000+ hours on mine doing pretty heavy work during most of it with the front loader and pulling a disk for installing food plots in the deer hunting areas. Very little mowing.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To move round bales have you tried a rear fork? The 3pt should have a greater lift capacity and now your engine becomes the counterweight. I use a very old heavy steel brush hog for my counterweight when lifting using the loader. There are other ways to add weight but this way I can also use it for mowing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom