Trayvon's mom seeking trademark?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She seems to be grieving well...

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/0...en-trademark-i-am-trayvon-and-trayvon-justice

Sybrina Fulton, the mother of a slain Florida teen whose case has garnered national attention, has moved to trademark “I Am Trayvon Martin” and “Justice for Trayvon,” rallying slogans related to her son’s death, HLN has confirmed.

Since Sanford, Florida, Police released 911 tapes associated with the shooting death of the teenager, mass protests have swept across the United States. In the process, provocative catch-phrases and slogans linked to the slain teenager have been memorialized on countless posters, placards and websites.

On social media sites, users nationwide have uploaded pictures of themselves clutching a bag of Skittles or wearing hoodies, items found on and around Martin's body the night he was killed.

Especially popular has been the wearing of hoodies, which have been worn by countless supporters -- including celebrities like Sheila E -- and have come to symbolize a tribute to the teenager who was shot to death in a gated community on February 26.

A trademark is a symbol, name, phrase or even a color consumers identify with a product that helps them identify the source of a product. Trademark law is meant to protect consumers from confusion about the source of products. Federal and state trademark laws allow a person who owns a valid trademark from stopping others from using it.

If Fulton’s trademark filing is a bid to preempt the commercialization of a tragedy, she may be too late. A website selling Trayvon Martin t-shirts was registered Saturday, according to online registration records.

On Café Press, a do-it-yourself merchandise website, items such as coffee cups, hoodies and bags associated with the case were on sale. In one of the more odd cases so far, a party flyer in North Carolina co-opted the boy's face as a marketing ploy.

On Tuesday, Fulton and the boy’s father, Tracy Martin, are expected to appear before a Capitol Hill forum hosted by Democratic lawmakers. The lawmakers are expected to call for a repeal of Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which has drawn renewed scrutiny in the wake of the shooting

The American Legislative Exchange Council released a statement Monday defending itself in the face of media reports that legal language nearly identical to Florida’s controversial law was part of a template pushed by the organization to several states.

“Florida’s 'Stand Your Ground' law was the basis for the American Legislative Exchange Council’s model legislation, not the other way around. Moreover, it is unclear whether that law could apply to this case at all,” ALEC said, referring to the Martin case.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I first thought it was horrible, but it could just be a move by the family's lawyers to prevent OTHERS from marking it and profiting.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I see how people jump onto these issues, escalate them to a national level and claim their piece of the burgeoning financial pie, I realize how very naive I am about some aspects of life.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This whole sordid incident has gone beyond silly. Race should've never entered into the event as a factor. However, racism sells and the media knows it. They've been on it like a pack of hyenas since they smelled fresh kill. Then here come the vultures Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, two of bigger ones to feast on the carrion of this tragedy. Then you've got the constitutionally illiterate Chuckie Schumer's and Carolyn Mccarthy's getting their "face time" on anti-gun propaganda regarding stand your ground laws (that don't even apply to the state they represent). This whole thing looks like something off a Discovery Channel documentary on the dispassionate cruelty of the natural world. I seriously doubt that actual justice is obtainable in this case anymore. So many idiots have pissed on it like they're marking their turf that there's no way for it to be adjudicated objectively. They've all done a huge disservice to Martin, Zimmerman, their families, their community and the nation as a whole. It sickens me to think that this is what our country is devolving to. A young man is dead and another man's life is utterly destroyed. The ideologies driving this farce have become more important than the facts of the case.

I'm done with this one. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom