Trick or treating is all but dead in our neighborhood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not ashamed to say I was a Halloween Scrooge this year. The neighbors brought their grandson by early and I gave him half the bowl of candy I had. To say he was excited is an understatement! LOL (He's 4 ...) Then I made sure the porch light was off, when in the house, put on my old lady jammies, turned on football and read my book about Winter Gardening ...

Maybe next year I'll be a better Halloween host ... :naughty:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my previous neighborhood, I used to hand out individually wrapped popcorn balls from The Popcorn Factory. Each year, it was a treat to see the kids' faces light up when they realized I was handing them something other than the usual candy bar, and apparently my house got a reputation because in later years, I'd get at least two or three kids coming to my door who would tell their friends, "See! I knew this was the house with the popcorn balls." The number of kids coming to my door grew each year too, from about 20 to more than 80 the last year. I wonder if they were bummed when I moved.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had adults bringing actual pick up loads of children and parking at the entrance to our addition, these were children not from our area. The streets were filled with large groups of sometimes 15 - 20 children trick or treating at a house at the same time. It was a constant line of 1 child after another at our home until we ran out of candy, we started out with 10 bags of it, have never ran out of candy in the past. This is the first time I have seen so many kids in our neighborhood. I think it may be storm victims, and because the neighborhood that one served them is no longer. Just my guess. It was fun seeing all the cool costumes, I was not happy seeing the teenagers some were high school students with no costume trick or treating.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We scrooged out too, BB. Don't feel bad. The wife is in graduate school and studying her brains out. I was busy with my own project (new lights in our 500 gallon fish tank), so we didn't even turn the front porch light on. I didn't feel too bad because we normally only have a few kids.

Apparently, this year was different. reports from the neighbors said we had quite the onslaught of non-neighborhood kids in our neck of the woods. No I feel back for not putting candy out.

:nolike::nolike::nolike::nolike::nolike:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we saw some pretty "big older kids" out trick or treating. Took grandkids to the grandparents nursing home and they were passing out candy. good time

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ran out of candy after about an 1.5-2 hours and what was apparently $35 worth of those candy mix bags. Our neighborhood is somewhat nicer than some of the surrounding one, so we draw a pretty decent crowd. Plus we've got some neighbors on our block that have some pretty elaborate decorations (including cool things like a fog machines and lame things like those big inflatable decorations) so that draws more kiddos in. Lot's of kids of various ages and mostly dressed up (there was a group of about a dozen kids from the local middle-school who were dressed up in their polo-shirt uniforms from the local middle school). My gal I both dressed up and had a good time, though she was constantly worrying about me freaking the kids or the parents out. Not that I was dressed up scary or anything (the Doctor from Dr. Who), but I had a separate "treat bag" inside our real candy bag, from which I would produce frozen waffles, jalapenos, hand-fulls of spinach to offer to some of the older children (I would eventually desist and give them a couple pieces of candy). The way I see it, I'm not adding anything to their experience by being just another random guy that gives them another handful of candy. I figure I can at least do something funny or goofy to make it a bit more amusing or memorable. Also, I borrowed a projector from work and had this projecting from the upstairs window onto the street in front of our house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWTQtyKih4 .

My favorite Halloween gimmick was when we lived in a second story apartment on a street that didn't get many trick-or-treaters, but did have a lot of them pass through. I would cast out a fishing line with some individually wrapped candy taped to the end of the line. Once I'd gotten it out on the sidewalk, I would hide and wait for a kid to come by and spot it. Some of the reactions when a kid would reach for the candy and it would suddenly start "running away" across the ground, and then hover in midair...priceless. Then I'd reveal myself in my fishing hat and vest and toss down some more candy.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fawk you. That's what happens when you don't throw away the toothbrush they leave in your bathroom. 10 months later and all her **** is here.

And even Del Gue packed him a squaw for ten year. Meanest ***** that ever balled for beads.

I can attest to this. Back in high school out in San Diego my gf was basically "living" with my mom and I anyway, when I graduated and moved back to OK she took my room and FULLY moved in with my mom!!!! She still had one more year left of HS and my mom and her just kept each other company out there. haha I admit pretty bizarre...

Forgot to mention she graduated and brought her toothbrush to okieland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom