Trying to find a thread or help answering a question about selling car to a dealership.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmerrill

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second givmethevin.com. I sold a car to them a couple of months ago and it was a pretty easy process. Don't accept their initial offer, I got them up another 1K.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold two vehicles to carmax. Very pleased and easy process. One was a Honda, and one was a Chev pickup.. Both, substantially higher dollars than dealer would give me, even when I told them what Carmax was giving they would give a penny more. (dealer where I bought replacement from and checked other as well)
Honda was close to $5000 and chevy was $4000. (obviously depends on the vehicle etc.)
That was a year ago when demand maybe was higher. I know several with similar experience.
Regardless, the process is simple at the store, if I knew they would give me only $200 more at carmax I would still sell to Carmax as it was easy and fast. I went to the store (Tulsa)to get appraised, did not do it on line.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Facebook marketplace of all places got a Dallas dealership in contact with us. They are driving all the way up here to BFE next week and paying us our asking price we had for the car. Meeting us at our bank as well. Hoping for a smooth transaction.

Givemethevin was $3,000 below our asking price.

Car Max offered what we wanted but it’s my understanding that it could have changed once we take it to their lot.

Never would have thought Facebook Marketplace would actually work successfully.

I think give me the vin is a better place to sell a car that isn’t worth $30,000+.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL sold his car to Battison Honda in Okc for more then the give me the vin guy offered. They didn’t even drive it or start it. Just walked around & looked at it, and asked if he had the title & extra set of keys. Easy deal. Blue book price was 6500 & Battison gave him 9300. Vin guy offered 9000.
The Vin guy was from out of state & seemed sketchy. Dealers are offering big money for cars as their inventory is low. It’s a sellers market. I’d get an offer online from the Vin guy, then shop it around to some of the bigger dealerships.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all realtive. VIN guy could be good this week, Carmax the next, Dealers the next.
Shop around, get the best deal, laugh all the way to the bank.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awhile back I thought I asked about dealerships that buy your vehicle. Kind of like Car Max or similar companies.. I remember someone mentioning a dealership in OKC that will beat Car Max’s offer. Does anyone know if that’s still true? Or know of the dealership or know of any dealerships still doing that?

Ordered a car through another dealer out of state so in the mean time while we are waiting for the car to come in we are gonna temporarily be a one car family going into Winter so going to sell our car to pocket a little cash and save that monthly payment and insurance costs.

2021 Hyundai Sonata SEL+ With 7,100 miles if that matters…
last time I bought a car I got it from Vroom - was always skeptical about on-line car stuff but I did in fact get a bargain compared to what I could buy the same car from a dealer -- I also sold my car to them for at least a few thousand more than I could have got selling it privately and several thousand more than a dealer would give for it
cost nothing to check - just enter your info - they will give you a price and if you accept they will pick it up on your schedule

Latest posts

Top Bottom