Tulsa Street Hustles (share ones you've heard here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a few years. Filling up the gas tank when out of nowhere steps this big black guy who gets right in my personal space. He's very articulate and tells me his wife just got T-boned in an intersection and he's just trying to get enough money together for a motel room. I say no, he moves on to the next car. I notice a white female on the edge of things watching everything intensely. She must be there to warn him off if anything looks unfavorable.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the QT east of Memorial on 71st, I went in store, left wife in car(with a pistol in the car) Got my cigarettes and started coming out, about 1/2 way to the car I see I young, mid 20s black male approaching her window, I'm getting nervous at 5'6" and 165lbs I'm not big enough to scare anyone but with my best mean voice I hollar "HEY" and he stops and then goes to approach me, and starts in on his sob story about how his daughter just died and he dont have any money to bury her yada yada yada, remember mid 20s, yea he showed my an obituary/funeral service pamplet and this girl looked to be 18 or better, I told I didn't have any money but I'd pray for him, he rolled his eyes and walked off. That helped cement me getting a CCL, I had taken my class a few days before this incident and you can bet that paperwork got mailed off ASAP

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my wife stopped at the QT at 21st and Memorial the other night really late after being at a friends party to fill both of our vehicles up at the same time- her at one pump in her car me on the other side in my Explorer. I looked over and noticed some haggard looking older woman over by my wife giving her a story I figured and then saw my wife nod her off. Before she could get around to me the QT guy comes running out of the store yelling at her and chases her off down the street. He told me he's been chasing them off all shift. The wife finished and went ahead and went on home. She had her pistol on her and I knew I would be along behind her on the same path home.
My Explorer has a bigger tank so it took longer to fill. Before I was done this lil scraggly lookin dude comes up out of nowhere in the dark and tries to start in on his sob story but I just shut him down and told him NO before he got started on it- and then he tries to argue with me about how bad he needed help. I just told him NO, NO, NO. As I walked away to go in and pay I saw him go over by the trash dumpster where the lady that got chased off earlier was waiting on him with another bigger dude. I go in and pay and when I come out and am heading to my truck I see all 3 of em all heading right towards me. Im thinking holy shite they have to be ra-tarded, ready to rob me, or really really needy (the latter I doubted very high...). I patted my pocket to assure myself the heater was there plus I knew the bigger locked and loaded one was just a few feet away inside the truck in its place. I hit the alarm, hurried and opened the door and got in the truck hitting the door lock. Sure enough they come right up to my truck. These people have got freaking big balls cause Im not a little guy at 5'10' x 250 solid- the smaller guy seemed a little intimidated by me earlier- but I also know that there is strength in numbers and I dont know if theyre carrying weapons, plus the third guy wasnt as big as me but he wasnt as little as the other guy. Ok, now, I know this was wrong, and illegal, but at the time I just didnt give a shite. I put the gun up flush with the window just so they could see that it was a gun- pointed up in the air towards the ceiling of the truck right up against the window where they could see it very clear. Then , lollll, when they saw it they all 3 scattered off in 3 different directions. I then hurried up and got the fck out of there hurrying on the down the street towards 169 and off to Wagoner county and home safe. FCK Tulsa at 3am- and Im born and bred in California raised in San Diego and lived in Oakland while going to school in my 20s.

Last edited:

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some dread-locked freak ask me for money to go to the hippie music festival when I was living in Northern California. Poor judgement on his part. I get cranky when I have to get up early on Saturdays and have to go to work.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time in Memphis...Nothing I've experienced in Oklahoma holds a candle to the stuff I've seen in Memphis. Usually it's when we're(me and my lady) out on Beale Street heading back to the hotel there'll be a group of guys and one will always say something along the lines of "hey, you got a few bucks?" as they start approaching us. I just say NOPE and keep walking. I'm not a big guy at all(5'7" 145 lbs), but I'm in ridiculous shape and know how to defend myself. Plus, I've been told I have a "F you up" appearance. Moral of the story, in a situation like that, if you pull out your wallet, you just lost it. I've also gotten a lot of sob stories at rest stops on I40 going or coming from MS. I can't remember who said it earlier in the thread, but yeah, if it seems rehearsed then it probably is.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the QT at 51st and 129th I had some biker looking dude ask me for a couple bucks so he could put gas in his truck. Said he had a new job somewhere but needed gas money to make it there. Gave him a couple bucks and he went back to his old truck that was parked next to a pump. Lived in Houston for eight years and ran into it all the time there.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, now, I know this was wrong, and illegal, but at the time I just didnt give a shite. I put the gun up flush with the window just so they could see that it was a gun- pointed up in the air towards the ceiling of the truck right up against the window where they could see it very clear.

I know it exposes me to liability, but I would've done the exact same thing in that situation. Brandishing or not, it diffused what could've been a potentially deadly situation. That sounds like proper use in my mind. At least to me, bad brandishing would be initiating road and rage using the sight of your gun to scare the other guy off so he won't retaliate.

Back on point, I fuggin hate these sob story wankers who prey on good peoples' emotions for a quick buck.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never saw them much in Tulsa - more often on 23rd in OKC when I lived there. I never hear the sob story in much detail, because I usually 1) ignore them while staring them down, or 2) just tell them to eff off.

The best was the 7-Eleven at 23rd and Penn. About 0630 and still dark out. Some dude bolts form behind the building (there is a narrow walkway behind it) and says "How you doing sir?" "Well I am f**ing terrible, what the f*** do you want?" He just stops, dumbfounded, and slowly walks backward as I enter the store. He was nowhere to be found when I left with my coffee about 90 seconds later.

Another time (at a restaurant, also on 23rd in OKC), I gave some dudes like 18 cents, which was all the change in my pocket. They were more pissed I wasted their time than I was from being harassed. It was worth my time time to screw with them, just to see how hot-headed they would get. :D

The one time in Tulsa a guy hit me up (QT at 48th and Yale), he was needing money for gas and, had a prop of course! An empty gas can :) I ignored him and told the employee at the counter. QT hates this crap and usually gets pretty feisty with them if they catch them. It was awesome seeing the scammer throw the gas can in his truck and haul azz out of the lot in it truck (out of gas, surely!)

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In California....this same hustler would sit at the 7-11 Id stop at every morning. He'd sit with his coffee mug full of whiskey and ask for gas money. He usually left me alone, but one morning I was in a particular pissy mood and he started in about needing just a gallon's worth of money to make it home. I reached down, took his coffee mug, dumped the whiskey out and filled it with gas. Told him good luck and God bless. The look on his face was priceless and will stay with me for life. Lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom