Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
still a big bird. That’s a cool hunt. I’ve only used the fall season as retribution on a few over-vigilant (or over-bearded) hens. Those are pretty solid spurs too. Don’t get me wrong, calling fired up Tom’s is truly awesome, but sneaking up on a flock of turkeys is a different skill set and a helluva lot of fun.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my fall tom preserved for posterity. I still don’t consider myself a turkey hunter, but I really enjoyed both experiences. :thumb:
IMG_0094.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the TC Encore platform, and with the scarcity of parts, I decided to pick up a turkey shotgun barrel before prices get any crazier. I’ve been researching optics for it and found a new scope Hawke came out with this year with a turkey reticle. I’ve never used a Hawke scope so have no first hand knowledge of their quality, but the few online reviews available are very positive. I’ll post back how I like it when mine gets here.
As an FYI, Cameraland has these little scopes on sale right now.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the deal. I haven’t updated this thread, because I’m still waiting on my scope. Cameraland shipped in a timely fashion, and the scope made it all the way to Tyler TX via UPS where it stayed “hung up” from December 29th until January 8th when it was returned to Cameraland. I spoke to Jeff and Neil at Cameraland multiple times, and they were nice and sympathetic through the process. The scope was delivered back to them yesterday and reshipped, so I’ll still be waiting to try it out until the middle of next week. :anyone:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scope finally got delivered about 8:30 last night and is sitting atop my Encore turkey barrel, and hopefully, I’ll have time this afternoon to take a few shots with it.
As far as the scope itself, it seems to be quality and well made. The finish appears to be thin, because as careful as I was, I’m pretty sure I got ring marks on it. The reticle and illumination are really nice, but the brightness settings don’t go as low as I like. I know that’s kind of splitting hairs and on a turkey shotgun isn’t an issue, but I wouldn’t put this scope on a pig rifle that might be used in low light.
I‘ll post again after I shoot it and if I remember take a couple pictures.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but I figure yalls are the people to ask: I’m gonna try to get my boy a turkey this year. He’ll be 5 soon and I think he’s up to the task. I need a small 410 with screw in chokes. It’ll be shooting TSS. Im looking hard at the mossberg 510 mini. Do any of y’all know of anything else or have another recommendation?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but I figure yalls are the people to ask: I’m gonna try to get my boy a turkey this year. He’ll be 5 soon and I think he’s up to the task. I need a small 410 with screw in chokes. It’ll be shooting TSS. Im looking hard at the mossberg 510 mini. Do any of y’all know of anything else or have another recommendation?
This is a great question and not off topic at all. I don’t have a recommendation other than that there are a lot of guys on a “turkey hunting” forum I’m on are now using a 410. I’ve been told that posting a link to another forum is against the rules, so I’ll to PM you. However, I know for a fact that some stuff posted in PM’s is being censored now too. :rolleyes2

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a great question and not off topic at all. I don’t have a recommendation other than that there are a lot of guys on a “turkey hunting” forum I’m on are now using a 410. I’ve been told that posting a link to another forum is against the rules, so I’ll to PM you. However, I know for a fact that some stuff posted in PM’s is being censored now too. :rolleyes2
Surely they wouldn’t scrub something that’d deprive a little boy of getting the best gun he could.

But thank you. I’d like to read the scoop on 410s.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely they wouldn’t scrub something that’d deprive a little boy of getting the best gun he could.

But thank you. I’d like to read the scoop on 410s.
Oh, I’m sure if you were asking for a link to a watch website it more than likely wouldn’t get censored, but since you’re asking about a hunting/shooting topic, it’s unacceptable. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom