Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could of had a Turkey buffet this morning.

Attachments

• 20230601_072421.jpg
    20230601_072421.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my hunting goals was accomplished this afternoon. I was on the way back to my deer stand and heard turkeys clucking in a grove of trees on the south bank of the river. I did about a 100 yard sneak through tall grass, and when I finally got to where I could see the birds, they were still about 70 yards away. I practice on targets out to 40 yards, but I try to keep my shots on animals around 30. There was about 25 yards of grass I mowed a few weeks ago that had started to grow back, and past that was short grass up to a little wash. I belly crawled up to the wash, and the birds were getting nervous. I left my rangefinder in the Ranger, so I Kentucky windaged the distance and took the shot. He dropped like a rock.
The other birds just milled around, and the other tom in the group went over to beat my bird about the head, neck, and ears. I really didn’t want to spook them, so I waited until they wandered off to go get him. It ended up the shot was 36 yards.
IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@retrieverman Congratulations on the fall bird and accomplishing one of your goals. It’s a good looking bird! I guess y’all didn’t have strong winds today up north like we did down here.
The howling wind is the only reason I was able to get up on the birds. I’m too old and fat to be very stealthy.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Darn nice bird! Did this one weigh as much as a calf like the last one?
No, this one is was only 23lbs but has a 9.75“ beard. The spurs are in my barn, and I’ll measure them tomorrow. They look to be at least an inch and are pretty sharp.

This one was way more exciting than the spring bird. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom