Turkey 23'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I’m sure if you were asking for a link to a watch website it more than likely wouldn’t get censored, but since you’re asking about a hunting/shooting topic, it’s unacceptable. :rolleyes2
Them fellas we can’t mention are really getting after em with a 410! I got a little more confidence that my idea isnt crazy and I learned about some new TSS loads.

As of now, I like the 510 mini idea. I’ll probably mount a red dot of some sort on it and get him practicing. IF he can hit a tin can every time from 25yds and in, I reckon he can hit a turkey head. We had so much fun last spring, im chomping at the bit to do it again.

But this is all assuming I still have turkeys on my place come spring…

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess all the turkeys have received the memo that the season is over. I watched these two guys with their hens for about 10 minutes this morning. I wasn’t hidden at all, and they didn’t care about me one bit.
View attachment 379782
Idk how I missed this originally. This is freakin beautiful

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Them fellas we can’t mention are really getting after em with a 410! I got a little more confidence that my idea isnt crazy and I learned about some new TSS loads.

As of now, I like the 510 mini idea. I’ll probably mount a red dot of some sort on it and get him practicing. IF he can hit a tin can every time from 25yds and in, I reckon he can hit a turkey head. We had so much fun last spring, im chomping at the bit to do it again.

But this is all assuming I still have turkeys on my place come spring…
Glad you found some useful information. :thumb:
After my ’23 spring and fall successes, I’m also looking forward to giving turkey hunting another try, but after the fall stalk, I think sitting in one place and calling is going to be a bit of a let down.🤣

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gonna try to get my boy a turkey this year. He’ll be 5 soon and I think he’s up to the task.
I just felt that I needed to suggest to you not to push your kid into hunting too early. He may tell you and you may think he is up to the task, but is he really?

I thought my son was old enough for a duck hunt, he was probably 9-10 age range. Let's just say it didn't go well and he never went out in the woods again with me until he was in his 20s. That was once and he never has other than that one time. I burned my other son out by taking him too much and now I don't have anyone in my family that hunts with me.

Just be sure is all I am saying.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My daughter was 7yo when she shot her first. Mini mossberg 20g with a red dot. Just light #7.5 trap loads. She killed several with it.

DSC03358.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just felt that I needed to suggest to you not to push your kid into hunting too early. He may tell you and you may think he is up to the task, but is he really?

I thought my son was old enough for a duck hunt, he was probably 9-10 age range. Let's just say it didn't go well and he never went out in the woods again with me until he was in his 20s. That was once and he never has other than that one time. I burned my other son out by taking him too much and now I don't have anyone in my family that hunts with me.

Sound advice. :thumb:
I’ve found that each of my 3 kids were different in their desire to hunt. I pushed my oldest boy into it too young (6), and he hasn’t hunted in over 20 years. My youngest boy was ready at 5, but I made him wait until he was 6. He’s still an avid hunter today. My daughter had no interest until she was 10, and though she‘s not “avid”, she does still like to go with me when she can.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Appreciate the advice, truly. I’ve ZERO interest in forcing this or any activity on my kids. I sincerely hope they love this stuff as much as I do, but if they don’t- I’ll just learn to love whatever it is that they love.

My brothers and I all started early. 5, 6, and 7 years old, respectively. Im the middle. We all cottoned to it quickly. My son has had less exposure to it than I did, but he has more “experience” than most 4 year olds and is fairly vocal in his want to go hunting. As much as a parent can allow a 5yo to make his own decisions, he will be included in the decision to hunt or not. I could care less if he kills a turkey, that wouldn’t be a feather in my cap if he did. It would be a feather in my cap if we enjoyed that time together as much as I think we might. He has no idea what I’m thinking or planning, and I’d imagine he has no inclination he will shoot a turkey. But I’m gonna get the gun and take him shooting, and we’ll see what happens from there. I have no reservations about pulling the plug on this if I think it’ll have a less than stellar outcome

Latest posts

Top Bottom