Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of shotguns that shoot 3.5" shells, but never used anything other than the Browning Citori O/U with 2 3/4" pheasant loads using #5 shot. Never had to use the bottom barrel.
The .410 is going to be a challenge getting them in close enough to be effective.
Have you patterned it yet?
3.5 in turkey loads, you need near elephant gun recoil to shoot a bird. Who need shoulders?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I think the nest raiders are taking a toll on the eggs and young birds as well.

I know I’ve been murdering the crap out of coons and possums over the last 5 nights and I’m not letting up. Gonna be ordering a bunch more dog proofs.
Around our place where we live in the country, we are ground zero for nesting hens. We live up on a west facing ridge. They like that situation so they can leave their eggs for a bit with the sun keeping them warm while they go out and feed. In 35 years of living there, it's the same situation year after year, so I think I have a handle on our local population anyway. I've actually found the nests after it's been robbed by ground predators. Egg shells scattered about.
We live in an area where there are thousands of acres with no hunting, so masses of hunters didn't cause the decline in our turkey numbers to where only mature hens were seen for a couple of years with zero poults.
It has to be nest robbers. Like you, I've been trapping our area for years but slacked off for several years. Those same years is when the population started its decline.
Started trapping a couple years ago pretty heavy and now we are seeing an increase in numbers and poults.
I'm sure there may be more underlying reasons, as one person can't make a change in that many acres, but those hens around our place may be the ones that are getting broods now.
I've said it before, that I think the ODW should put on a trial program of putting a bounty on raccoons especially. $1 a tail. Trappers would come out of the woodwork to get that buck.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you. The fur market is horrible for coons and such, I know a few fur buyers who’ll pay a buck (I think) for coon skulls and the male’s “bone”.

I know one of them has put on a nest robbers tourney to not only get rid of nest robbers but to collect some skulls and peters.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around our place where we live in the country, we are ground zero for nesting hens. We live up on a west facing ridge. They like that situation so they can leave their eggs for a bit with the sun keeping them warm while they go out and feed. In 35 years of living there, it's the same situation year after year, so I think I have a handle on our local population anyway. I've actually found the nests after it's been robbed by ground predators. Egg shells scattered about.
We live in an area where there are thousands of acres with no hunting, so masses of hunters didn't cause the decline in our turkey numbers to where only mature hens were seen for a couple of years with zero poults.
It has to be nest robbers. Like you, I've been trapping our area for years but slacked off for several years. Those same years is when the population started its decline.
Started trapping a couple years ago pretty heavy and now we are seeing an increase in numbers and poults.
I'm sure there may be more underlying reasons, as one person can't make a change in that many acres, but those hens around our place may be the ones that are getting broods now.
I've said it before, that I think the ODW should put on a trial program of putting a bounty on raccoons especially. $1 a tail. Trappers would come out of the woodwork to get that buck.
Have to be careful, can be a perverse incentive like the cobra effect an example of one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hanoi_Rat_Massacre

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting info. Back in those days, one cent was a pretty good bounty.
I don't see many folks though trying to hold down a raccoon and nip off its tail unless they are in a Kevlar suit.
That was just one example, the name cobra effect comes from a British bounty on cobras in India. Initially numbers went down. Then people decided to breed cobras for the bounty,.. or so the story goes.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range and pattern on my prospective 2-12ga shotguns for turkey today. My Remington 870 had a EF Turkey choke. My Browning Maxus was sporting a standard full choke. Both using the same 2 3/4” turkey load ammo. The cardboard targets are about 3’ square.

What I learned with just 4 shots. 2 3/4” is plenty. I could possibly take one at 60 yds but I probably should wait for a 30 yd shot. I need to concentrate on not jerking the trigger. Can you spot the 4th shot where I concentrated on preeessssss the trigger. 😆
IMG_4807.jpeg
IMG_4814.jpeg
IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4810.jpeg
IMG_4808.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom