Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why? To me the toms respond better latter in the season and it gives the hens a better chance of breeding from a mature tom.

This has worked for me the past 3 years! It seemed like I was wasting my time until the last 2 weeks of the season in the years past. I don't know what it is about thunderstorms but I always wait until we've had one in the morning and I go out in the afternoon and get my bird!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think reducing season to 16 days would help as much or more than bag limit.

My understanding is the dominate tom does nearly all of the breeding. If the dominate tom is taken, the remaining toms will establish a new pecking order but it isn't immediate.

Outfitters that stack in hunters back to back throughout the month long season disturb breeding for as long as 4 to 5 weeks.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Oklahoma would stop so many out of state’ers from coming in I’d be tickled to pieces.
What is funny is people say this, yet a lot of the same people (I am sure not you @hunter966) go pheasant hunting in Kansas, elk hunting in Colorado, turkey hunting in Florida etc. etc.

If it was not for the OOSers, the ODWC would not have the revenue to fulfill their mission. OOSers should be welcomed, not discouraged.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is funny is people say this, yet a lot of the same people (I am sure not you @hunter966) go pheasant hunting in Kansas, elk hunting in Colorado, turkey hunting in Florida etc. etc.

If it was not for the OOSers, the ODWC would not have the revenue to fulfill their mission. OOSers should be welcomed, not discouraged.
Are you just trying to get tarred and feathered?!? :scratch:

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OOSers should be welcomed, not discouraged
Well, everyone’s not as loving as you. LOL

Here’s why I said what I said: where I live there’s a guy that started a high fence hunting operation. Kudo’s to him for doing something that people want and like to do.

So this fellas dad and uncle own and rent a lot of land and in turn he hunts these pieces of land as well, and of course us locals own land next to these places.

BUT, then that hunting operation expands to non high fence places and hunters start killing deer and turkeys that come and go from the locals land. And no, I’m not saying we own these animals, just that we watch, feed and hunt these same animals, then OOS’ers flood in.

Oh, and I have hunted Colorado for deer and elk but it was on public land and have hunted pheasants in Kansas but on one of the places they set the birds out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

I agree for the most part, but there are several states to hunt pheasant and elk. Kansas has always had a fairly low Rio population in comparison to OK. Texas has a ton, but very little public land if any? Then there's OK, lots of public, lots of birds, liberal limits, cheap tags and that's why for years and years OK was the number one Rio destination. I know it's not the primary reason for the decline, but once the decline began, it couldn't have helped imo. Interesting about Florida turkeys though, in that Florida isn't experiencing the decline that the rest of the SE and Midwest is. And that's the only place to hunt Osceola.

Latest posts

Top Bottom