Two New Sniper Rifles-One You Ain't Goin' To Believe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By any chance do you have any links that will verify the increase in velocity? I heard the "BOSS" on Winchester/Browning rifles enhanced accuracy but nothing on velocity.
Suppressors often add a small amount of velocity. It seems they add 0-70 fps. You can google it and find several tests on it. I think changing over from the 308 is long overdue for mil IMHO. I like that they're at least looking at fielding some 338s.

usmc1986

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bascially, I was told that a suppressed 300WM has the recoil of a 243Win. If I remember correctly there is also an increase in velocity with the addition of the suppressor.

You were told wrong on the recoil! Even with the most efficient muzzle brake it'll be a little stiffer than a .243 unless you're shooting 110 -125gr bullets. Which is a waste on anything but varmints IMO.

Yeah most suppressors will bump up velocity 15-20 or so FPS, but felt recoil will increase slightly over a muzzle brake. Overall, less flinch factor with a suppressor due to decreased muzzle blast.

In a military setting, the extra padding of body armor, and getting shot at is enough to distract from the recoil for many shooters.

The .338 LM and the recoil induced torque to the entire weapon system can be tuned and neutralized by offsetting the ports on a muzzle brake and trained to be dealt with. The last thing to keep in mind is the snipers/DM's using these aren't hosing hundreds or thousands of rounds - it's precision shot placement and the round count is significantly lower. During train up is where the round count could become uncomfortable for some.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You were told wrong on the recoil! Even with the most efficient muzzle brake it'll be a little stiffer than a .243 unless you're shooting 110 -125gr bullets. Which is a waste on anything but varmints IMO.

Yeah most suppressors will bump up velocity 15-20 or so FPS, but felt recoil will increase slightly over a muzzle brake. Overall, less flinch factor with a suppressor due to decreased muzzle blast.

In a military setting, the extra padding of body armor, and getting shot at is enough to distract from the recoil for many shooters.

The .338 LM and the recoil induced torque to the entire weapon system can be tuned and neutralized by offsetting the ports on a muzzle brake and trained to be dealt with. The last thing to keep in mind is the snipers/DM's using these aren't hosing hundreds or thousands of rounds - it's precision shot placement and the round count is significantly lower. During train up is where the round count could become uncomfortable for some.

Actually, I was told first hand by someone who works at Crane and it was reaffirmed to me later by a manufacturer of sound suppressors.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, for a contract like that I'd take up gunsmithing. Nothing wastes money like the Government. The odd part is guys on Delta Force used to build and use 30-338 years ago. Much like the 30 Belted Newton. A more effecient cartridge that shoots great. It's also a lot like a .308 Norma Magnum.

When was stationed at Pope AFB I worked part time at Cumberland Knife and Gun back in the 1980s in Fayetteville NC. We had a lot of customers from the JSOC and Delta Force that would come in to purchase their componets. They were building their own sniper rifles from Remingtion actions and the Delta guys were great friends with my boss John. Whenever a new sniper rifle came on the market they would shoot off against it and at that time their home built rifles aways beat the factory rifles.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure it's a decent contract. But really with the waste of money talk? I don't know if youe checked prices lately, but less than $7,800 for a sniper system is not bad at all. It's a little high, but far from bad. And I don't really know why, but whenever people refer to SFOD-D operators as being on the delta force it's almost like nails on a chalk board to me. I think it's entirely becase the piss poor chuck Norris movies

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Big +1.

And to what Tad said about the 6.5 chambering, the snipers give up some ballistics to deliver weight on the target. The competent sniper is going to make proper adjustments with either chambering so that really isn't as big of a factor as Joe Hick hunter or paper puncher is going to see it as. Like you said the 300 will have better barrier performance and deliver more energy to the target. A quarter minute wind call error could cause a hit or miss to the heart on either round. The 300 is going to cause more shock to the body in all likelyhood. Is it going to be the difference? I couldn't say, but I know given the extreme skill set these guys posses I'm going for the 300mag every time.

Suppressed 338 Lapua doesn't feel anything like anything in a short action. It still kicks hard and when I start getting tired the gun starts torquing with every shot. It is annoying and can be painful. The down side to it is shooter fatigue sets in much sooner. You get over the sore shoulder. It took me about 200 rounds and it doesn't bother me at all until the next day. I shot about 90 in one range trip and I couldn't believe how tired it made me. My experience with the magnum medium bore. YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom