Universal pistol sight removal/install tools...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lookin to get one of these and wondered if any of you guys use them? If so, is there a make or brand that you suggest? I was eyeballing one of these....Tool

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you planning on doing installs for other people? If not, a safe-side triangular file is quite a bit cheaper (and probably more appropriate in many cases).
Brownells

The tools can be handy, but get people into thinking that sights just need to be forced into place. There is some force for pressure fitting, but you aren't pressing a trunion...:thumb:

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The one in my shop was made by B&J Machine. I've been using it for about 4 years now. It has its place, it is not a cure-all. I think any sight removal/adjusting tool , such as either one of these, can be a useful one. I have encountered some sights I can't move with the tool, they need a little 'persuasion' to get them started, then use the press. The tool can , also, be used to fine adjust a fixed sight. Sight base (dovetail) files can be useful, but, I've seen some slides that will 'drag the teeth right off of a file' they are so hard. They have their place, considering what I've seen the damage some nobs can do with a hammer and punch. When the new sight you are installing is too tight, then relieve the dovetail with an appropriate file or , better yet, adjust the dovetail on the sight if you have the skills. Work slowly, once the dovetail or the sight are over cut, you've #@&!-up.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest problem I've necountered with universal sight tools is their tendency to torque the slide out of the vice area as you apply pressure with the pusher, especially on tight dovetails like Kahr, Sig and S&W. I used a Meprolight tool for several years and had to make all sorts of interesting widgets to keep that from happening.

Reinstalling old sights or installing new ones wasn't as much of an issue because I'd carefully file down the sight for a snug but not overly tight fit. It was getting the factory ones off that was a PITA. Whenever possible I prefer to use factory type tools that secure the slide by the rails rather than the sides of the slide. It's a much safer and more secure method.

Latest posts

Top Bottom