Unmarked police cars in Tulsa…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am hearing some on here that are doing things wrong. If you feel creeped out by police something wrong with you! Or we can be like the woke minded and do away with law enforcement and the judicial system like some are in the big cities, How is that working?

SCAROK

Marksman
Reaction score
So the unmarked traffic car program in Tulsa was something I wrote up in 2005. We were seeing an increase in fatalities and serious injury collisions. It was two dangerous to sit on any highway and get out safely to get the violator.

I requested duel antenna radars to allow readings from vehicles approaching from the rear since we were removing the grass medians we could only get same direction violations.

I asked for unmarked units to blend in with traffic. The traffic unit concentrates on hazardous moving violations and this allowed us to observe the violations such as cutting in and out of traffic with out signaling, tailgating and road rage issues.

We could also sit in neighborhoods were we had frequent calls for speed and stop sign violations. We saw a significant reduction in fatalities and serious collisions after starting the program city wide. However in the last few years traffic fatalities have really increased due to speed and inattentive driving, last year Tulsa had 70 traffic fatalities which is way up from 30-40 we used to have.

Other than school zones most speed stops are 15 mph or higher with many being 20 plus over the posted limit. We do not have the man power to do effective enforcement. The unmarked units also work all the collisions when they are out allowing patrol officers to concentrate on their calls and crimes.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the unmarked traffic car program in Tulsa was something I wrote up in 2005. We were seeing an increase in fatalities and serious injury collisions. It was two dangerous to sit on any highway and get out safely to get the violator.

I requested duel antenna radars to allow readings from vehicles approaching from the rear since we were removing the grass medians we could only get same direction violations.

I asked for unmarked units to blend in with traffic. The traffic unit concentrates on hazardous moving violations and this allowed us to observe the violations such as cutting in and out of traffic with out signaling, tailgating and road rage issues.

We could also sit in neighborhoods were we had frequent calls for speed and stop sign violations. We saw a significant reduction in fatalities and serious collisions after starting the program city wide. However in the last few years traffic fatalities have really increased due to speed and inattentive driving, last year Tulsa had 70 traffic fatalities which is way up from 30-40 we used to have.

Other than school zones most speed stops are 15 mph or higher with many being 20 plus over the posted limit. We do not have the man power to do effective enforcement. The unmarked units also work all the collisions when they are out allowing patrol officers to concentrate on their calls and crimes.
Thanks for the effort to help with these issues.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Do you think poor infrastructure and substantial increases in construction zones have any correlation to the increase in fatalities? At least one of those fatalities was directly contributed to the deplorable road condition.

Tulsa seems to have a very big problem with road maintenance. ;(

SCAROK

Marksman
Reaction score

Do you think poor infrastructure and substantial increases in construction zones have any correlation to the increase in fatalities? At least one of those fatalities was directly contributed to the deplorable road condition.

Tulsa seems to have a very big problem with road maintenance. ;(
Yes bad roads have contributed the two motorcycle deaths may have been caused by the conditions N/B 169 to W/B I244.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shouldn’t have to wait till people die to get things fixed, nor should it take forever to fix things once they finally begin. :(
169 to I-244 would be ODOT’s ballpark, not Tulsa’s. You can cuss Tulsa for working on south Yale, 81st, and south Memorial at the same time, but the highways aren’t their fault. (The Memorial job may be ODOT’s, too, as I think the bulk of the work now is for the new Memorial/Creek Turnpike interchange.)

FWIW, Tulsa highways have had garbage ramps for as long as I can remember. Kinda makes you wonder if someone at ODOT has it in for Tulsa.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good question…..Why do we exceed the speed limits on highways?

Why do we exceed speed limits in cities?
because we are a "On Time " society,something that needs to be reduced by eliminating penalties or fines or late fees for being "late",and at the workplace too...people driving crazy to get to work on time so they dont get "docked" a 1$ a hour from their pay,for 3 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom