Veterans and Their Weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of stories posted over at the CMP forum set my mind wondering and wandering this morning. There's this one about a son recovering his dad's M1, and another one about a vet getting very teary-eyed over finding another one.

I served in the Army for just under 3 years in the late 80s. Over that time, I was assigned at least 3 different M-16s (2 in Basic/AIT, and the 3d at my duty station), then an M-16/M-203 combo. I was also responsible for an M-60 and an M2, and occasionally carried a pistol, though never the same one twice, as I recall. I was an MP in a HAWK unit and had RSOP (recon) duties, hence the variety of weaponry.

I couldn't tell you anything about any of those weapons now. Don't recall a single serial number or rack number. I never actually fired the M2. I just had to lug it around when the RSOP section rolled out. I don't recall that I ever saw timing and headspace gauges for it, although I'm sort of sure the battery had at least one set.

Now granted, I served in peacetime, though it was the Cold War, and I was in the eastern part of West Germany. We knew we'd basically be a speed bump if anything ever happened. But I never had any emotional attachment to any of the weapons I carried. Is it because I served during peacetime?

The vets who remember their SNs and such, and have such emotional reactions to their rediscovery and such: is it because they faced the elephant with that rifle? Is it the M1?

Vets from recent conflicts: do you have a similar attachment to your M-16, or M4?

The armor guys, and pilots and aircrews, I can understand. That piece of machinery is your home for hours on end, and your fellow crewmen are your family. Do arty crews have a similar attachment?

What is it about the personal weapon that causes some of us to form such attachments?

(Cross-posted. Perplexed and others only have to reply once. ;) )

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also in the military and was Recon. Like you I had a variety of weapons ranging from M4 w/m203 attachment, 50 cal, m9, m240B,D, tow missiles, mk 19, etc. I do not remember any S/N's.

however I think those that were drafted and served in a conflict and were able to take their duty weapons after the war, collect war trophies, etc. These are the guys that remember their S/N. as they were only issued one gun.

let me ask anyone, not to high jack this thread. Why did they stop war trophies, and the ability to take your duty weapon home?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those guys were issued A weapon and were held responsible to keep it, therefore they knew the s/n of their gun. They had the same weapon throughout their time of service, especially during a conflict.

After Vietnam, rifles were kept in an arsenal and issued as needed to be returned at the end of the day / assignment, unless in a combat zone.

So I am told by my Uncle, many of the WWII vets had 1 rifle throughout (excluding training camp) their service (excluding training camp). My Uncle was trained and then issued with an M1 Garand, later he was re-issued an M-14, he still knows the s/n of both rifles. I barely remember my phone number.

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m amazed at the vets on here calling their rifle a gun. When I was in if you called your rifle a gun the sergeant made you field strip the rifle then sleep with the pieces. That was after standing on an assigned post and ever time someone walked by you had to say the ditty “This is my rifle and this is my gun etc.”

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those guys were issued A weapon and were held responsible to keep it, therefore they knew the s/n of their gun. They had the same weapon throughout their time of service, especially during a conflict.

After Vietnam, rifles were kept in an arsenal and issued as needed to be returned at the end of the day / assignment, unless in a combat zone.

So I am told by my Uncle, many of the WWII vets had 1 rifle throughout (excluding training camp) their service (excluding training camp). My Uncle was trained and then issued with an M1 Garand, later he was re-issued an M-14, he still knows the s/n of both rifles. I barely remember my phone number.

Phone number is easy....push#3

I had a g27 for a little while the serial # is FU699....dont know why I remember that ?
It was a really nice shootin gun, maybe thats why.
Someone on here has it now , traded it for an AK

My Dad was in a tank batallion in WWII, he always kept up with his friends from then.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im willing to say that being in a "it's me or you situation" makes all the difference. The weapon that brought me on home would be one that I would want to keep.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor was a Pacific War vet - he carried and slept with an 03A3. He could recite the serial number in a heartbeat. Wasn't even a gun guy, except for '41-45.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any attachment to the carbine or pistol that I carried in trashcanistan, nor do I have any attachment to the aircraft I piloted. I was comfortable with my weapons and ready to fight with them if I needed to, but I they were hardware to me. I kept them in good order and I was fortunate enough not to need them.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough not to need them.

My guess would be THIS makes a BIG difference. Part could be just being a different generation, coming up during the Great Depression and having little to nothing, what tools / personal items they did have, were special to them. Just as I / we would have special feelings for our first gun, our first car, Dad's old gun, etc.; but I still don't know the s/n for them.

Without living their life, I cannot know how they felt or why.

Latest posts

Top Bottom