Visiting Italy in a few weeks - open to suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was in the 90's, I spent some time in Brescia Italy on the company dime going to a programming school for a machine tool they bought.
We traveled by train on one weekend to Venice. Took the water taxis everywhere. Cheap way to get around. The Crowne Plaza is bustling with folks at low tide, and then you have to walk on 2X10's on scaffolding at high tide to get around there.
Visited the Bell tower of Saint-Mark that Galileo introduced his telescope to the Italian senate.
St. Marks Basilica in Venice is worthy of a visit. Millions of dollars worth of gold lines the ceiling and the antiquities on display are incredible.
We also visited by train (all electric trains) Milan. Fashion capital of the world in their opinion.
Don't overlook Brescia if you want to see some fantastic guns. Beretta, Perazzi, Pietta, Franchi and, a little to the south, Benelli have factories and they allow visitors, or at least did when I was there.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We stayed last year basically right at the Spanish Steps........... Can't go wrong with any of the local sidewalk restaurants in and around that area.......... Off the square, and behind it about 1 block are all kinds of small streets/ alleyways with an incredible selection of food, etc. Loved it. And, from that location you're only 10 mins max walkding to Trevi.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a good guidebook and visit places at off times to avoid the crowds. And from what I am told prepare to walk a ton. Oh and Venice smells like a sewer from what I have been told by a friend I house sat for who went through there.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a good guidebook and visit places at off times to avoid the crowds. And from what I am told prepare to walk a ton. Oh and Venice smells like a sewer from what I have been told by a friend I house sat for who went through there.
Yes it does. That's because the canals are actually their sewer system. Summertime is tough!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you stated you are open to suggestions, How about taking me with you.

Now there's one of the more innovative suggestions I've gotten! lol Nice one!

Yes it does. That's because the canals are actually their sewer system. Summertime is tough!

Agreed... I've been there before, but it wasn't that bad. but it was October. This is in November, so I don't expect it will be too bad, either.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like Amsterdam. The canals looked filthy and stank like death. Well, just a little more than the people that lived in the park and constantly begged for money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom