Wal*Mart refuses to sell shotgun to petite woman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was just a judgement call by the Wal-Mart employee.

You got it, and yes the clerk can be held liable by law.

In college I once was that clerk at Wally world behind the sporting goods desk. Man and woman come in and look at shotguns for her to go dove hunting, he helped her and she shouldered a few guns. Decided on an 870, ran 4473 and sold her the gun. Fast forward 2 months, I'm at work get a call from the manager who says come to the office. Go back and plain clothes ATF questioned me to death on the sale. Turns out that guy that was with the woman was a felon and drug dealer. They raided his house and found the shotty, traced it to the woman who was now an ex girl friend and then to the store. I saved her rear end and mine, by telling the truth, that she bought it for her use and he just helped her pick it out as any male would do. ATF sure questioned what had happened, at length.

Not a fun experience. So if you've never sold a firearm and think you know the rules or the law. As in sports, you probably don't know the rules

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS- FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer “NO” to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x). Please note: EXCEPTION: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

Looks like a gift is fine if you don't have knowledge that the person receiving is prohibited from owning a firearm...

Latest posts

Top Bottom