Wanting to buy a whole beef….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know the best place to buy a whole beef? Not bothered to make a drive if it’s worth it. I have a friend wanting to split a whole beef and trying to find the best place…

Local ranch I checked out is $4.75 a pound… This ranch selling claims a 1/2 beef is 400-500lbs of meat.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the size of his beef but My hanging weight from a 1000-1100 pound steer whole beef is about 700 lbs. Which will give about 450 lbs of meat. I'd want to know the live weight of his beef to know what a half beef would net.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know the best place to buy a whole beef? Not bothered to make a drive if it’s worth it. I have a friend wanting to split a whole beef and trying to find the best place…

Local ranch I checked out is $4.75 a pound… This ranch selling claims a 1/2 beef is 400-500lbs of meat.
If a ranch is claiming 400-500 lbs for a half, they are probably mistaken, or butchering an old big cow or steer. I’d stay away from that if that is what they are actually claiming. A good on the hoof butchering weight is usually around 1000-1100 lbs which will produce roughy half that in meat. Because local beef is in high demand, I’ve heard of some old nasty looking beef being processed. Buyer beware!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We are doing some more digging with our two somewhat local ranches that sell. Trying to figure out the best deal between the two.. they describe their prices totally different…

1/2 beef at Ranch A is estimated to be 400-500lbs $1900-$2375… they are saying $4.75 a pound.

1/2 beef at Ranch B is estimated to be 200-225lbs. $1400-$1575… they are saying $7 a pound.

Is anyone else as confused as I am?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the two different beeves are just different age or size or finished weights. the carcass on beef A is bigger than Beef B. the different price is just price?? does this help?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are doing some more digging with our two somewhat local ranches that sell. Trying to figure out the best deal between the two.. they describe their prices totally different…

1/2 beef at Ranch A is estimated to be 400-500lbs $1900-$2375… they are saying $4.75 a pound.

1/2 beef at Ranch B is estimated to be 200-225lbs. $1400-$1575… they are saying $7 a pound.

Is anyone else as confused as I am?
I had been paying $5.25/ pound for processed, shrink wrapped beef, but last year, it jumped to $6.00/lb due to the packer having a price increase. Given the quality of the meat I‘m getting and with the increase in price at the grocery store, I feel like it’s still a bargain.

The steer I’m getting this year is already 1300# with 33 days left on feed.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a ranch is claiming 400-500 lbs for a half, they are probably mistaken, or butchering an old big cow or steer. I’d stay away from that if that is what they are actually claiming. A good on the hoof butchering weight is usually around 1000-1100 lbs which will produce roughy half that in meat. Because local beef is in high demand, I’ve heard of some old nasty looking beef being processed. Buyer beware!
old big cows don't usually yield that high,but a big bull might. there is live weight and then there is hot carcass weight. a carcass usually looses near 20 percent of it's weight in just dehydration and cut out if it is hung for any time .could be rancher A is quoting hot carcass weight???? i would ask them to explain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom