Wanting to reload for Henry 44 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I came across FREE pieces of 44 mag brass and wanting to reload for a Henry lever action rifle. What kind of loads are you guys making for this rifle? Good groups? Thanks for all the advice.

rhutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yo I haven't loaded .44 mag in awhile but I found some notes 240gr hornady xtp on top of 23.0gr H110 worked good in Smith 29 4" and Winchester 94.If I remember this is a mid range load not to nasty even in 4" model 29.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try some of the Hornady bullets with the flexible point for lever actions. I am sure that the XTP would be fine as many other bullets would too. Any good .44 mag load that works in a revolver would work in the Henry. You could Taylor a load just for that carbine.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try some of the Hornady bullets with the flexible point for lever actions. I am sure that the XTP would be fine as many other bullets would too. Any good .44 mag load that works in a revolver would work in the Henry. You could Taylor a load just for that carbine.

Those hornady bullets are great in factory loads, but if you buy some of the blemished bullets from Midway, they won't feed through the rifle or work in the revolver. Hornady uses a slightly shorter case for the leverevolution type ammo. You can trim your brass to accomodate it, but then it is too short for standard bullets. I ended up cutting off the tips to make them feed in my lever guns and work in my revolvers.
The Henry should be good for any of the standard 44mag ammo, factory or reloads. I load most of mine with WW-296 or H-110 I have also loaded them with AA#9. Good luck and enjoy the rifle.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most reloading manuals offer loads specifically for .44 mag rifles. These are stouter than pistol loads.

I strongly recommend you get a manual and that you do not depend on any internet source (including me) for loads. The Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook has a bunch of good loads, with a separate section for rifles and very strong handguns. You will need to crimp these loads. Lee's Carbide Factory Crimp Die will assure a uniform crimp and will also assure that every round will feed. They appear to be out of stock at Lee, but you can probably find one at some dealer. This is what they look like:

http://leeprecision.com/carbide-factory-crimp-die-44sp44ma.html

I use this in loading for my Redhawks, and have never encountered a problem with feeding or with bullet movement from recoil, Some of my reloads are pretty stout.

And speaking of that, it would be a good idea to see what you can find regarding maximum (factory) loads recommended by Henry. I strongly suspect that they, like most gunmakers, rule out reloads, but you can duplicate factory max recommended loads to stay on the safe side.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CB made some some good points.
I'm not familar enough with the little pocket leverguns to make any suggestions.
What are you of loads are you looking for?
What use?

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I've got a Hornady reloading manual 9th edition which has the 44 mag pistol & rifle loads but it's always nice to hear what a seasoned reloader has to offer.
Will look into the link. Thanks..

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a good, fairly soft shooting 100 yard load I use a 240 gr. Nosler jacketed soft point over 19 gr of 2400.

Latest posts

Top Bottom