Warning--deposit large checks at your peril

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
11 days sounds absolutely outrageous, especially from a large brokerage firm. I've gotten in a pissing match before and left a bank over how I thought one treated me after years of being a customer. That being said, if they clear it without a hold and you take the money and leave the bank, the Bank has to eat that loss if the check doesn't clear. Fraudulent checks have only increased in the last few years...talk to the manager and if you don't like what he or she is saying, there are plenty of other banks to deal with. I have found that smaller banks tend to give much better service than large banks (you just trade off in convenience of locations). Some of the nicest banks I've dealth with include Crossfirst, First Enterprise, RPC, Kirkpatrick, and even Midfirst in OKC (even though they are becoming more like a big bank). If you don't like who you are dealing with, try them, good people at all of them.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again I worked at a bank and we could hold checks. 5000+ was a 7 day unless they had matching funds. If you had matching funds and they held it that was crazy. The main reason behind it is if its a bad check and it bounces that could take 2-5 days you can split with the money and never return to the bank. This is a case of a few bad apples ruining the bunch. You can call them every day and request they call that bank to see if the funds have cleared and if they have they can release that hold.

There are case by case and exception holds a case by case is only 2 days but if I had any questions about the check I can place that hold with out having to give an explanation. That being said you use those if anything could be questionable about the check.

Honestly it's the teller protecting their job, if that check bounced and you refused to bring the money in that would hit their outages and I know the bank I worked at if your outages hit 1800 it was termination.

I had one time where an employee who had been there 20 years cashed a 3000 check and it came back as a fraudulent check, I almost got fired because I assumed she would be a bit more cautious about what she cashed but she wasn't so it came back but luckily she brought the money back and she took the loss instead of my drawer but that's a prime example of why banks place holds.

Like them or not but if the check bounces and you can't cover the cost they will overdraw your account that amount and send you to collections if need be.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
15 mins is all it should take. That's how long it takes for your Bank to call the Bank on the check to see if it is legitimate. I been a customer with my bank for 15 years, if they want to hold my money they got another thing comming. They have never held my checks and I was depositing large sums once monthly last year when I was being paid contract. So it depends on your bank, but banks that make unfair, or stupid policies, because they don't trust a 15 year customer, should expect to be called on their bad behavior. I for one do not tolerate that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom