Warning--deposit large checks at your peril

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one should feel obligated or dedicated to stay a member of any financial institution. Banks are the scum of the earth. They do not have your interest at heart. They will act in their own best interest and it doesn't matter how long you've had an account with them.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled all my money from FAA credit union when i purchased a motorcycle from someone local here in yukon and the FAA credit union would not let the guy the check i gave him...They stated that his ex wife worked there and he owed her money...
REALLY! that gives you no right to mess with my money..if i want to give my money to someone then i should be able to...
I was with them for over 20 years purchased a house through them.. No loyalty. you are just a number

No skin off my back to pull my money and go elsewhere...

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's been policy for a long time. I've deposited $50 to $80k checks from the same source every year for awhile and they always hold them for about a week while making $5000 available immediately. They said it's done to verify the full exchange of funds from the company that writes the check. It's not so smart to cash a $50,000 check immediately and then have the funds not be available when the check "writer" doesn't have it. The first time it irritated me but after they explained why it was understandable. It's the same thing with trying to cash a check like that, they have to hold it to be sure they are actually going to get the money from whoever wrote the check before they give it to you. They have more leeway on smaller checks because the risk is less. They are far more inclined to cash a $1k check on the spot than a $50k check which they will not unless it's an in house account.

So...no worries, it's normal.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one should feel obligated or dedicated to stay a member of any financial institution. Banks are the scum of the earth. They do not have your interest at heart. They will act in their own best interest and it doesn't matter how long you've had an account with them.

Yes^^^ and YES^^^^^^GE floor-plans our stuff .....somehow they are able floor the same stuff at two locations.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what? Hurt feelings? How much can I get for that? I told the bank manager I was gonna pull all my money out and go somewhere else. He said "Your balance is $43.28, how would you like that"? Almost made me cry.

Ha. That's about how the conversation would go for me too.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the "because I can" explanation is bogus...I've pretty known for my entire adult life that a large check deposit may be held for several days until the funds can be verified. Espeicially, if you mainting low balances in the account you are depositing too...I have been at the same bank for many years now with muliple accounts, so I rarely have to worry about this any longer...but this is not that unusual of a scenario...11 days is a little long though...3-5 is about the longest I have ever encountered.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think depositing a large check and it taking a weel to have the funds available try going to your bank and asking to withdraw $5k -$10k without them having been given prior notice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom