Water level at Lake Draper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea when the water level at Lake Draper will be restored? I know they had dropped the water level to work on the spillway, but I'm getting anxious for crappie fishing season.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that is one deep lake,,i have not been there since they drained it down..

years ago back in the 80's it was 105 feet deep by the tower that sticks out from the dam..and a bunch of the lake measured 85 feet deep...that puts it around 3 times deeper than dirtybird....last year cruising overholser in the boat the deepest spot i found was 13 feet..

i think the crappies should still have a few places to spawn... used to catch lots of cats and sandbass in draper,,but it seemed to just keep going down hill since the 80's...or maybe i just aint fishing it enough

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is one deep lake,,i have not been there since they drained it down..

years ago back in the 80's it was 105 feet deep by the tower that sticks out from the dam..and a bunch of the lake measured 85 feet deep...that puts it around 3 times deeper than dirtybird....last year cruising overholser in the boat the deepest spot i found was 13 feet..

i think the crappies should still have a few places to spawn... used to catch lots of cats and sandbass in draper,,but it seemed to just keep going down hill since the 80's...or maybe i just aint fishing it enough

Overholser is almost totally silted in. I was told that a sand company offered to dredge it out just for the sand, and that the city said it would cost them, I think, fifty cents a yard. The "sandpipers" supposedly told the city to "pound sand" and it never happened. I think this goes back to the late 70s or early 80s.

There was speculation that the city was afraid of the old dam, and did not want a much larger volume of water going down the river should the dam fail, but this was all at the rumor level and I was never able to confirm it.

Hefner is pretty deep in spots, but Overholser will get you stuck on a sand flat if you aren't careful. An elderly guy once told me he had seen Overholser being built, and that it was 75 feet or so over much of its area. I kind of doubt that, but the river has brought in lots and lots of silt/sand over the many years of the lake's life.

About Draper, I too heard that it was going to be 'way down for several years. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom