Can we not eradicate Cedar Trees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the state used to have a program that utilized prisoners to help control the cedar problem? Or am I imagining it? I thought they paid prisoners $3/tree or something like that.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with that is your nicely controlled fence line trees make baby trees for miles around for everyone else.

These are up in age and no pollinating as I have owned it for a couple years. I “ studied up” on them years ago, most stop pollinating at around 75 years old. Kinda like us Humans, we fire blanks eventually. All the land around them for quite aways has no Cedars.

They will still light off, these has and lived. They get old they get tough. When they get old their cellular structure changes and the become very fire resistant as well.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use smaller ones as rails for stacking firewood since they're pretty resistant to rotting (and free). Turkeys do not like them as they can't roost in them and they'll crowd out suitable roosting trees. I have quite a few large ones that I could cut down, but I don't know what I'd do with them once they're down.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the permaculture world we say: “Unused resources are pollution, and pollution is an unused resource.”

It sounds like we have a pioneer plant that produces a lot of biomass and has a myriad of uses. Take a torch to the ones you don’t want, use the ones you can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom