Can we not eradicate Cedar Trees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If everyone would try to manage them and do it yearly, then a pretty large dent could be made. But that won't ever happen.
yup, I had 16 large (16'tall or so) and I cut em all down and continued seeing small ones coming up for a couple years and I hit those with brush killer chemicals. Good think is when you cut em down, they dont try to sucker back up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least thin them out. Drive anywhere and look along side the roads and what do you see? Should be some way to make fuel out of them the way they combust.
Before retiring from the Power Plant, we got word that there was going to be a startup company to remove, and process the eastern red cedar trees to be used as fuel in coal burning plants.
It never happened as they don't produce the BTU's that coal does and the cost of processing them would force a rise in utility prices to cover the added expenses.
Plus if they harvested and processed every eastern red cedar in Oklahoma, it would only provide fuel for less than a year. The project died.
Eastern Red Cedar is one of the few species of trees that won't regrow if cut off below the lowest limb. Simple brush hogging for small trees in pastures is an effective and permanent solution, but I've seen ranches of thousands of acres grow into cedar jungles that won't support wildlife nor cattle.
We had several dozen that got too big to mow on one of our farms. DRC458 and I went over there with some #2 lead shotshells and shot them off where they came out of the ground, then put the tops over the stump so a tire wouldn't go over it. 5 years later, zero ERC in that field.
Our neighbor has over 10K acres. He is ruthless on preventing the cedar from taking over his place.
It's a never ending job.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They get pretty big in northern Idaho...

1709374015545.jpeg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im trying to do my part dont know how many i have cut and burned and have several more to go as im clearing my land the bigger ones im cutting and saving the main trunk for something in the future just dont know what right now but the smaller ones goes on the fire.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our neighbor has over 10K acres. He is ruthless on preventing the cedar from taking over his place.
It's a never ending job.

This is exactly right. Eradication is possible if the landowner is willing to put in the effort. My family owns a combined 2000+ acres, and ERC management is an ongoing battle. They've mostly succeeded through a combination of controlled burns and brush-hogging, but some are so big and persistent that taking them out one-by-one with a dozer is the only solution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom