Water well question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had the same issue. We got rid of the tank and discharge water directly to a garden hose and sprinkler system. We installed a motor amp draw switch that has a timer. The switch senses motor amps and shuts the submersible pump off when the well bore runs out of water. In our case that was 15 to 20 minutes. You set the timer to delay motor restart to give well bore time to refil. Figuring out the wait time is a hassle but when you figure it out your watering system is taken care of. Our well refils in 30 minutes.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. I’m on well water, and I have a 500-gallon cistern between the well and the house. Over time, the well pump fills up the cistern when water is available in the well, and a pump in the cistern provides water to the house. I’ve never run dry.

You are out around Mustang and the 10 mile flats, I am betting?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had the same issue. We got rid of the tank and discharge water directly to a garden hose and sprinkler system. We installed a motor amp draw switch that has a timer. The switch senses motor amps and shuts the submersible pump off when the well bore runs out of water. In our case that was 15 to 20 minutes. You set the timer to delay motor restart to give well bore time to refil. Figuring out the wait time is a hassle but when you figure it out your watering system is taken care of. Our well refils in 30 minutes.

You can choke a well down to work with a pressure tank. We have wells we have put in like Perplexed is talking about. Average household needs 4 gal a minute to service 2 bath 3 bed home on average. We have some that only puts out 1/2 gal a minute, but put a cistern in and you have a supply that most won’t ever have an issue with.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is as well a few areas up there with little to no water. In and around Mustang is a area of little to no water.

It’s actually not bad in my neighborhood - none of my neighbors who have wells tapping into the same aquifer have cisterns, and they usually don’t lack for water. The previous owner who had the cistern installed was something of a survivalist.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just stop watering the yard!
All the yards around me have pretty much gone dormant by now, & will come back in the spring.
The only yard that gets watered around me in on the city property.
This.

I cannot understand watering grass, so you can mow it.

Fresh water is the single most precious resource on the planet. Why dump it out on the ground?

I could understand if the irrigation was going to crops of some sort; a garden perhaps. Just for grass? that's city thinking, IMHO.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This.

I cannot understand watering grass, so you can mow it.

Fresh water is the single most precious resource on the planet. Why dump it out on the ground?

I could understand if the irrigation was going to crops of some sort; a garden perhaps. Just for grass? that's city thinking, IMHO.

I have to agree with this. With more and more people using water, there will be more of a need to shift to native vegetation and xerophytic landscaping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom