WD-40 as an attractant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss just swears up and down that if you spray some WD-40 on your bait that the fish will gobble it up. Has anyone tried this? Sounds crazy to me. Going to the lake this weekend and might have to make sure to throw the panther piss in the tackle box if it really does work.

Reaction score
Tangent on scents:

Couple days ago I put a small ziploc baggie in my fishin fanny pack, containing a couple dozen of each of these "gel capsules": (a) Garlic and (b) Fish Oil. These are the cheap over the counter Spring Valley health supplements that I take anyway and have on hand. I figure that I'll put the hook through say, a fish oil capsule, then move it up the line past the hook, then put my bait on, then squeeze some on the bait - hopefully, in addition to being on the bait directly, it will slowly ooze out and fill the water around it with scent and mask/attract. We'll see. The garlic they are supposed to like, too. If it works, this will be cheaper than buying the juice from Academy made to hook fisherman's wallets.

The garlic pills are smaller, and with the slippery/smooth surface of the gel capsules, I'm wondering if a trout wouldn't just bite the capsule and take off.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tangent on scents:

Couple days ago I put a small ziploc baggie in my fishin fanny pack, containing a couple dozen of each of these "gel capsules": (a) Garlic and (b) Fish Oil. These are the cheap over the counter Spring Valley health supplements that I take anyway and have on hand. I figure that I'll put the hook through say, a fish oil capsule, then move it up the line past the hook, then put my bait on, then squeeze some on the bait - hopefully, in addition to being on the bait directly, it will slowly ooze out and fill the water around it with scent and mask/attract. We'll see. The garlic they are supposed to like, too. If it works, this will be cheaper than buying the juice from Academy made to hook fisherman's wallets.

The garlic pills are smaller, and with the slippery/smooth surface of the gel capsules, I'm wondering if a trout wouldn't just bite the capsule and take off.

I'm convinced that the garlic Spike-It chartreuse dye helps me get more bites. I'd be interested in a follow-up when you get around to actually trying it.

As far as the WD-40...I got one of those emails extolling the many uses of WD-40 and in there it said something about WD-40 actually being made out of fish oil or something...dunno.

I'd be scared it would suck and I wouldn't be able to get rid of the smell, no matter what I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom